Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Vu Quang Cao <vu...@yahoo.com> on 2007/10/03 07:25:05 UTC

Problem with Vista

Hi all,
I&#39;m working on a project using HttpClient 2.0.2 to send request to a remote site. Everything is fine with XP however, when using Vista I got an exception:
java.net.SocketException: Network is down: connect
	at java.net.Socket.&lt;init&gt;(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.Socket.&lt;init&gt;(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:86)
	at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:652)
	at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:628)
	at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:497)

When I disabled the firewall client (I&#39;m using Microsoft Firewall Client for ISA Server.), I got an exception:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
	at java.net.Socket.&lt;init&gt;(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.Socket.&lt;init&gt;(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:86)
	at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:652)
	at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:628)
	at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:497)

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

Re: Problem with Vista

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hello,

first of all, please upgrade to HttpClient 3.1 final.
HttpClient 2 hasn't been supported for years.

The specific problem seems to be in the JDK code rather
than in HttpClient. We've had Windows problems because
of IPv6 support being enabled (not Vista though). Check
your network settings and make sure you can connect to
the target server from other programs. Check whether
there are any know JVM bugs on your platform. Finally,
verify proxy settings. Maybe the JVM is trying to use
proxies set in the OS. You'll find discussions about
that in the mailing list archives.

cheers,
  Roland