Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jack Waters <tp...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/24 16:55:19 UTC

Outlining?

I go by my initials.  Every time I try to type my name at the bottom of a
letter, I type C. J. Waters and hit enter to add the address.  Invariably,
that line indents and the next line suddenly has an indented C. I.  I have
tried to find a way to shut off this automatic outlining feature without
success.   I have searched through tools/outline numbering and cannot find a
way to make non-outlining the default.  I can shut it off manually with the
tool bar, but with each document, it defaults back to "on".

Does anyone know of a way to make "not outlining" the default?

Re: Outlining?

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:55 24/06/2014 -0400, Jack Waters wrote:
>I go by my initials.  Every time I try to type my name at the bottom
>of a letter, I type C. J. Waters and hit enter to add the
>address.  Invariably, that line indents and the next line suddenly
>has an indented C. I.

That would be "CI.", I think, not "C. I.". Writer thinks you are
starting a numbered list with roman numerals starting at 100, so
indents the paragraph and provides CI. (or 101) for the next
paragraph. If you continue, you will see CII., CIII., CIV., and so on.

Note first that Writer treats your pressing Enter and its automatic
"correction" as two separate items, so the simple way to deal with
this is to go to Edit | Undo (or press Ctrl+Z) immediately you see
the problem. The unwanted change will disappear, leaving the effect
of Enter that you did want

>Does anyone know of a way to make "not outlining" the default?

Yes. Go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Options and remove the
tick from "Apply numbering - symbol: *".

Alternatively, you could change your first initial so that it is no
longer a roman numeral!

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker