Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/24 10:36:46 UTC

Roadmap for 3.0

I' d like to start a discussion about ServiceMix roadmap for 3.0.
IMHO, we should release a 3.0 asap, and I want to propose that
we release 3.0 at the end of August.
The main point I' d like to focus on are:
  * JBI TCK (which should be available to all committers that have signed a
NDA)
  * bug fixes
  * documentation

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Ramon Buckland <no...@thebuckland.com>.
Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> The main point I' d like to focus on are:
>  * JBI TCK (which should be available to all committers that have
> signed a
> NDA)
>  * bug fixes
>  * documentation

+1 from me on the list.
I would add 1 extra.
* Complete working test cases. (no -Dmaven.test.skip=true)

My other thoughts are on doco.
Documentation is the big one. It is imperative that good/great
documentation is provided.
I am very ready to assist in this area. (hopefully not the only one)

To get this task complete, what would assist current and potential
document writers
is a clear defined list of what is needed, going into brief detail on
the content as a starter.

This list needs to take into account the proposed future changes
currently in discussion
(post 3.0 I assume eg: maven archetypes, lw-container as an SE or an SL etc)
such that the doc is written to "direct" users towards some future proofing.
With Spring in there, most things are easily refactorable, just a point
to "keep in mind" when we compile
a documentation list and it's requirements.

my 2 cents.
Ramon

Re: Roadmap for 3.0

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On 8/1/06, Philip Dodds <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that the source restructuring doesn't make much sense,  though
> that
> is only really true if we can start getting weekly builds available to
> people to use so they don't have to download M? releases and then find out
> they need something from head.

Agreed.
I must sort out the problems that happen when deploying  a snapshot.
It seems that maven fails to upload them.
James is setting up a continuum server on
http://goopen.org:8080/continuum/servlet/continuum and I hope we will be
able to
use it for nightly (or weekly) snapshot deployments .

As for the clean packaging this is really trying to reduce the download so
> that we can have a core download, components download and then the things
> like servicemix-web outside.  This can probably be done with just working
> inside the apache-servicemix assembly project.

Cool :)

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet