Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Campbell, Matthew A" <Ma...@Relizon.com> on 2004/07/29 20:16:55 UTC

New list users and "the book"

> > SVN is much more flexible than CVS, regarding security.  See the
> > comparison chart at the beginning of chapter 6 in the book.
>
> The book he's refering to is located at
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com, and
> here is the section that you may want to read more about
> access control
> for your sub-directories:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch06s04.html#svn-ch-6-sect-4.4.2

Is there some way to customize the "welcome" message for the users@ list
with a minimal "subversion users' jargon file"?  I get the impression that a
lot of new list users don't know the book exists, much less that it's online
and free.  Not everybody finds the links to the book from the tigris.org
site for some reason.

Re: New list users and "the book"

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 15:16, Campbell, Matthew A wrote:

> Is there some way to customize the "welcome" message for the users@ list
> with a minimal "subversion users' jargon file"?  I get the impression that a
> lot of new list users don't know the book exists, much less that it's online
> and free.  Not everybody finds the links to the book from the tigris.org
> site for some reason.

Good idea, I'll see what I can do.

Re: New list users and "the book"

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Campbell, Matthew A" <Ma...@Relizon.com> writes:
> Is there some way to customize the "welcome" message for the users@ list
> with a minimal "subversion users' jargon file"?  I get the impression that a
> lot of new list users don't know the book exists, much less that it's online
> and free.  Not everybody finds the links to the book from the tigris.org
> site for some reason.

Done, it now says:

   Acknowledgment: I have added the address

      your@address.here

   to the users mailing list.

   Welcome to users@subversion.tigris.org!

   The Subversion home page is http://subversion.tigris.org/.  We also
   recommend these resources:

      The FAQ:   http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html
      The Book:  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

   Please save this message so that you know the address you are
   subscribed under, in case you later want to unsubscribe or change your
   subscription address.

-Karl