Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/01 19:09:04 UTC

Re: [action2] Free HostedQA account available

On 5/5/06, Patrick Lightbody <fo...@opensymphony.com> wrote:

> My company, Autoriginate (http://www.autoriginate.com), has donated a free HostedQA account to all Struts developers who request one. The account is available at https://struts.hostedqa.com. Just speak up if you want an account and I'll set you up.

Yes, please (wsmoak).  And remind me how this works again?  Can you
use plain Selenium tests found in /selenium/tests, or does HostedQA
need something different?

What I have so far are a couple of simple tests for one of the example
apps, and a Maven profile that unpacks the selenium-core jar and
copies in the 'core' directory plus anything found in
src/test/selenium/.

Now that I'm able to run the tests locally with
   mvn package cargo:start -Pselenium
   --> http://localhost:8080/<appname>/selenium/core/TestRunner.html
, what does it take to automate them?

--
Wendy
http://wiki.wsmoak.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Maven/Selenium

Re: [action2] Free HostedQA account available

Posted by Patrick Lightbody <fo...@opensymphony.com>.
To automate tests in HostedQA, just log in and import a test from Selenium IDE or create a new one. It will get run within 30 minutes of a checkin.

HostedQA does have an import tool, so you could store the tests in HTML format in SVN. But there isn't an automatic way to import those in (yet). I will see what we can do about that.

Re: [action2] Free HostedQA account available

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 8/2/06, Patrick Lightbody <fo...@opensymphony.com> wrote:

> I don't see the "selenium" profile in the Struts 2 poms - is this a 1.x thing for now?

Shale, actually. :)  But it's the mailreader app, so they should work
for 1.x also:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shale/framework/trunk/shale-apps/pom.xml
and just a couple of simple tests:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shale/framework/trunk/shale-apps/shale-mailreader/src/test/selenium/

> HostedQA doesn't need Selenium Core to be packaged in the webapp. It also can import HTML files used by Selenium Core (and generated by Selenium IDE), but it stores them on the server in its own custom format. If you think it is necessary to store tests in SVN with the code, we should talk and work out the requirements for such a feature and I'll get it in the queue.
>
> As for automating Selenium tests in general, Selenium Core isn't well-suited for the type of end-to-end automation you're looking for. However, Selenium Remote Control is and may be able to help. Though, in my very biased opinion, and as the creator of Selenium Remote Control, I'd really recommend just using HostedQA. It is a lot easier to set up (2 ant tasks) and supports a lot more features :)

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  When I asked how to automate the tests, I
meant 'How do I automate the tests with HostedQA?"

Locally, all I want is to be able to easily run the tests in a single
container/browser combination.  This is just a sanity check like
running 'mvn clean test' before checking in changes.  I've got that by
storing the tests in src/test/selenium and enabling the profile to
package them with the webapp.

So yes, I do want the tests stored in svn.  If you have an import
facility that converts them to the format you need, that sounds fine.
But I'd also like to see the tests you've written for the Struts 2
apps.  I'm still at the "Record with Selenium IDE and do minor
editing" stage. :)

Wendy

Re: [action2] Free HostedQA account available

Posted by Patrick Lightbody <fo...@opensymphony.com>.
Wendy,
Your account is set up - I'll follow up with details by email.

I don't see the "selenium" profile in the Struts 2 poms - is this a 1.x thing for now?

HostedQA doesn't need Selenium Core to be packaged in the webapp. It also can import HTML files used by Selenium Core (and generated by Selenium IDE), but it stores them on the server in its own custom format. If you think it is necessary to store tests in SVN with the code, we should talk and work out the requirements for such a feature and I'll get it in the queue.

As for automating Selenium tests in general, Selenium Core isn't well-suited for the type of end-to-end automation you're looking for. However, Selenium Remote Control is and may be able to help. Though, in my very biased opinion, and as the creator of Selenium Remote Control, I'd really recommend just using HostedQA. It is a lot easier to set up (2 ant tasks) and supports a lot more features :)

Patrick