Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rex Brooks <re...@starbourne.com> on 2006/05/08 16:21:08 UTC

[users@httpd] RedHat (RHEL4) apache startup failure: ebxml-registry-repository on tomcat on port 6480, with Mambo LAMP Portal on port 8080: Despite Self-Signed Cert: [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]

Please excuse me if this is not the best list for this problem. I
don't have mod_ssl in this installation.

This installation is part of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 with OpenSSL.
This problem started after attempting to register a new user for the
first time in the ebxml registry repository (ebxmlrr-3.0-beta1).

Before this, I did not have a server.key in /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/
other than what is installed with the apache server, nor a
certificate in /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/ before creating one as a test
just before writing this message.

A user key was created as part of registering a new user within the
freebxmlrr-3.0-beta1 and imported into the Firefox browser I was
using.

This occurred just before the server began failing to start.

Registering a new user in the Registry involves installing a
credentials for the user and that process appeared to proceed
normally until I did a cold restart to ensure that all settings were
saved correctly--or so I thought. (I have sent a message about this
to the ebxmlrr-tech list, too, and I am copying that list with this
message.)

I have since produced a self-signed certificate following the
instructions in the RedHat System Administrator Guide Chapter
26.6-26.8 but, of course, I can't test it because httpd still doesn't
start.

Here is the terminal output when attempting toe start httpd:

[root@c-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx ~]# service httpd start
Starting httpd: [Mon May 08 06:20:21 2006] [warn] The Alias directive
in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 557 will probably never match
because it overlaps an earlier AliasMatch.
Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/xxx/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28] does not exist
                                                            [FAILED]
[root@c-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx ~]#

Here is the httpd error_log for that sequence:

[Mon May 08 06:20:21 2006] [notice] core dump file size limit raised
to 4294967295 bytes
[Mon May 08 06:20:22 2006] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled
(wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
[Mon May 08 06:20:22 2006] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has
no certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]

Notes:

The registry runs on tomcat. I changed jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28 to port
6480 (using a 64xx sequence which will eventually ease the change
over to the Sun Service Registry which uses that sequence). This went
without a hitch.

The registry is intended to work with the Mambo installation with
MySQL-PHP running on localhost:8080.  Until the failure, this worked
as intended.

ebxmlrr-3.0-beta1 uses JSF and JSP but I haven't had a burp (AKAIK)
with that system operating with the Mambo-MySQL-PHP system.

I was using the embedded Derby Database with the ebxmlrr
installation. I expect to change the database to Oracle 10gR2 for the
sake of using the RDF Network Data Model with the Registry as an
added service.

BTW: I really don't understand the terminal output line which refers
to the tomcat server.xml file:
Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/xxx/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28] does not exist

It certainly does exist as do the DocumentRoot s for the the other
virtrual hosts on this system (using the RedHat HTTP Configuration
Tool) and was/is working fine, as does the environment variable for
CATALINA_HOME.

Also, the Alias directive warning was there previously and did not
appear to affect the startup of httpd.

Thanks for any helpful ideas you might have.

Regards,
Rex Brooks

--
Rex Brooks