Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk> on 2000/12/09 15:36:31 UTC

BETA binaries...

Are we planning on releasing binaries of the beta?  I ask as if we are then
we should make sure the building/installing is working with our new
structure and decide how we install (do we change the directory
structure??).

david

Re: BETA binaries...

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.

> Are we planning on releasing binaries of the beta?

I think that is the idea.

Bill

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 09:58:48AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> [...]

Note that David is talking about the install structure... not the
source/build structure. OtherBill: your email seems to be conflating the two
layouts.

> How does everyone feel about using "D:\Program Files\ASF\Apache" tree?

+1

Although it might be more correct to use ...\ASF\HTTP Server 2.0 for the
path.

Yes, this brings spaces back in, but you get the ASF grouping, and drop the
bit about "Apache" always referring to the web server.

> If we want a build+binaries directory, Roy's model needs a few changes,
> or some radical overhaul of our defaults.  It's a problem burying conf
> in docs,

That is the location in the source. You can still install it to the old
location.

> empty unless it's a binary install?)  I'm -1 on changing our default
> conf path to @@serverroot@@/docs/conf for the config files.

Nobody has suggested this yet.

> Similar question for cgi-bin, where is that?  In docs parallel to the
> cgi-examples?  Problem - cgi-examples is about to grow a .bat file as
> a win32 example, and we don't want that in cgi-bin under unix (nor do
> we want the test-cgi shell script in the win32 cgi-bin.  Actually, the
> batch file will be test-cgi.bat.)

cgi-bin is toast. We now have "examples". In the install tree, cgi-bin is
located in the same place as always. Whether we install the examples there
or not is debatable.

> We need to decide if we will do an Alias /manual into docs, to allow it
> in eperate magic with the http://server/ index to drop manual into the
> docroot tree.  If so, we need to modify the default conf.

I'm not sure why we need to mess around with the manual. What is the issue?

> We can't play the symlink games on win32, so we need to give these
> issues some thought, without too many duplicate trees.  I'd like to see
> win32 roll with the unix-proper include, lib, libexec and modules trees
> so it is easier for builders.

I don't see what is needing to change... we have a new build tree, but that
doesn't imply any change whatsoever to the install tree.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: BETA binaries...

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
I do a couple every day.

Ryan

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, David Reid wrote:

> > Installing currently works with the new structure on Unix, but there are
> > some definite issues that need to be finalized soon-ish.  I do believe we
> > want to release binaries of the beta.
>
> Has anyone done a binary build of 2.0 recently?
>
> david

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: BETA binaries...

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Silly question ... of course :-)

> I ask as if we are then
> we should make sure the building/installing is working with our new
> structure and decide how we install (do we change the directory
> structure??).

This question really concerns me ... although Ryan was good enough
to share a snapshot build (static, of course, so it doesn't -exactly-
correlate to the win32 model.)  I'm seeing just a few issues...

I'd ignore the root path differences between unix and win32
(e.g. /usr/local/bin/apache vs. d:\program files\apache group\apache)
but for the fact that building a 3rd party program is very, very
difficult in Win32, and it comes down to "Apache Group".  Most makes
don't like spaces in path/file names (go figure), and the typical,
parallel build trees for win32 imply that 3rd party modules, stored
somewhere like Program Files\Sprocket Co\CoolModule\, should be built
against ..\..\Apache Group\Apache which is simply a problem.

How does everyone feel about using "D:\Program Files\ASF\Apache" tree?
Better than "Apache Group"?  We eliminate the space in the relative path,
and more inclusive of the other ASF applications, which can be installed
in another directory of Program Files\ASF.  The other simple option is
simply "Program Files\Apache\Apache", but I don't know what the other ASF
projects would prefer.

[...]

More thoughts anyone?