Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/04/01 23:23:35 UTC

the ultimate newbie test, part 2

Part 2: evaluating avalon; using the website

1) link to jakarta main does not work
2) there's no getting started
3) it's called Apache Server Framework,
   but it is a component library as well?
4) so, where's the binary?
5) so, where's the User manual?
6) are there any releases at all???

I think I'll just go and download that
web services kit from sun; it looks nice
and easy.

In short: you already need an idea of what
Avalon is about, or you really need to be
sure it is what you need to use to be
interested. If you don't, the first link out
of that avalon thing doesn't even work.

Also, understanding even the first few
paragraphs requires knowledge of terms
like "design pattern". These are explained
in other places, but they're not linked
to when the words first appear.

- Leo

Re: the ultimate newbie test, part 2

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leo

Parts 1,2,3 excllent dude, keep it up... If I may just comment on one
thing so far...

>3) it's called Apache Server Framework,
>   but it is a component library as well?

I feel that the Avalon band is a project comprosing the five sub projects

1) Framework interfaces
2) Excalibur component library
3) LogKit
4) Phoenix
5) Applications

In my opinion we need to use terms carefully.  "How do I use Avalon?"
 is a consequence of bad branding.  What is really meant is how do I use
Excalibur, or Phoenix or apply the framwork interfaces to my own
project.  This happens so regularly, it is apparent there are problems.
 Like you I think our website is part of the problem - "Avalon Server
Framework" is in our logo.  It dilutes the brands of Avalon (per se) and
Avalon Framework interfaces (only one part of our suite).

I think our logo should say Avalon Project, and the only place
'framework' is used is in relation to (1) above.

Also I see Phoenix as a Server of servers (or a Java server of Java
servers)  I'd like us to think of a move in the direction of that phrase
in terms of branding.

- Paul