Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/19 00:02:55 UTC

[VOTE] Explore creating a reusable JWT Library

The vote for merging PR 123 does not address community will on what to do with the code beyond merging it.  One can realistically vote +1 to merge the code, but then desire to see the code cleaned up and moved elsewhere.  One can realistically desire seeing an attempt to clean up the code to find what is reusable and may wish to withhold a final decision until we see how fruitful such a module would be.

Out of respect for people who may not know exactly how they feel (TomEE or Geronimo), this is a vote for the latter.

Vote: Should we attempt to extract code from the JWT PR to see what is reusable and how successful such a jar would be?

 +1 Let's give it a shot here
 +-0
 -1 Let's do this elsewhere

If the vote is +1 to attempt an extraction of reusable code here, final conclusion of if that extraction is worth it or where it should live is not being voted on.  People are welcome to decide differently based on the results of the exercise.

-David

Re: [VOTE] Explore creating a reusable JWT Library

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I don't think you have answered my question. You specifically said: "I will
make sure to help to make it releasable." If this code is moved to a blank
repository, irrespective of what is the TLP for that repo, what actions
were you going to take to "make it releasable"?

Jon

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 29, 2018, at 3:03 PM, Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk> wrote:
>
> i would like JWT support but it has to be done right.  is the plan to place it as a sub project under the TomEE umbrella?  is the project going to have a future as an independent module which can be reused in G etc?

Current status is there's a PR with 19 new classes in it that aren't already in TomEE.  They could potentially be reusable outside of TomEE.  The code could potentially be less classes if refined.  The discussion is where should that exploration be done.  I think it'd also be pragmatic to evaluate how much overhead 19 classes are worth; it's own jar, it's own git repo.  Those are open questions.

The statement being made is that this code shouldn't live in TomEE as a library or module or separate git repo where it could be mistaken as being a component that doesn't work outside of an app server and instead should be in Geronimo and called geronimo-mp-jwt to avoid that misunderstanding.  In terms of being reused in Geronimo, there's no server there anymore to reuse the code and the project is a bit of an abandoned building.  Of the 66 people that have commit, only 3 are active.  The statement being made that Geronimo as a project, not as a server, could hold all reusable app server components for all of the ASF and code from TomEE should be moved to Geronimo to help achieve that vision.

One could argue that moving the code from an alive app server to a dead app server doesn't achieve the main objective of avoiding perception that code is not reusable.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I agree, and I don't think that is quite decided yet. I'm fairly agnostic
on the "where", but I don't think it should stay in a PR.

It's early days, and it could potentially move at different points in the
future. TomEE has changed a fair bit since my first contribution in 2007 :).

I think we need to make sure we're enabling everyone to keep working and
collaborating.

Jon

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2018, 06:06 Romain Manni-Bucau, <rm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Le 30 mars 2018 04:30, "David Blevins" <da...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :

> rmannibucau@gmail.com

> > écrit
> > :

> rmannibucau@gmail.com

> > just
> > and
> libs.

> > same

> > OpenTracing
> be
> > in

> > since
> keep
> > it
> > reusable
> > >
> > > I'm reading that as a yes that you would -1 future MP implementation
> work
> > in TomEE on the basis it should live in Geronimo, but you hope it doesn't
> > come to that and will do your best to create good implementations in
> > Geronimo so it isn't necessary.
> > >
> > > If I misunderstood, please clarify.
> >
> > > On Mar 29, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Globally that is it. You explained a lot why geronimo failed and not
> sure
> > > why tomee is kind of taking the same path - well actually cause of
> "perms
> > > lack" fear from what I read. This is not a safe reason (+not that
> > relevant
> > > @asf thanks to the meritocracy) and Id prefer to keep "us" being unite
> as
> > > we have been 7 years ago instead of just going on different paths cause
> > of
> > > a fears.
> >
> > I think we should openly discuss your perspective and how it might be
> > perceived by the project.  There are 11 +1 votes, 5 of them binding.  It
> > does appear that overall the project would like to move forward with the
> > code.  You -1 the code on the basis that it should go to Geronimo instead
> > with the clear statement you will continue to -1 so on future
> MicroProfile
> > code.  Can you see how this creates a situation where 11 people feel they
> > have no ability to contribute to the project now or in the future?  Do
> you
> > feel this is the spirit of the Apache Way and represents community over
> > code?
> >

> > More than never but I just dont ignore other projects. I understand most
> of
> > voting people are not involved in G and therefore I can see where they
> come
> > from (and no Jon, this was not directed to you in particular).
> >
> > The main difference is Im thinking of communities and not community.
> >
> > You are also plain wrong saying there is no way to contribute, there are
> > plenty as on any asf projects and for most people it will be the exact
> [...]

Was my understanding of "people feel they have no ability to contribute to
the project now or in the future"

> > Project is created @G, if T duplicates it what does happen? We get an
> half
> > baked flavor on one side and another one on the other? Do you think it is
> > the right thing for asf David? Do you want to split communities? Do you
> > want to make of TomEE a put it all project which means getting rid of
> TomEE
> > as a thing?
> >

> > Im really fed up to be always felt as the bad guy but I also know it is
> > wrong and will fail. Short terms it will fake some activity on the
> project
> > (is it the goal?) Which can be good, long terms it will kill all the good
> > of TomEE AND our libraries as mentionned earlier.
> >
> > If you want to pass it in force you can but please remove me from the pmc
> > before.
> >

> I very much would not want that.

Me neither (both parts of the sentence) but can be needed seeing current
state and I don't think I'll accept anytime soon the fact that a community
ignores (to not say rejects) another one
which is kind of what happens here.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> [...]
> code.  You -1 the code on the basis that it should go to Geronimo instead
> with the clear statement you will continue to -1 so on future MicroProfile
> code.  Can you see how this creates a situation where 11 people feel they
> have no ability to contribute to the project now or in the future?  Do you
> feel this is the spirit of the Apache Way and represents community over
> code?
>

> More than never but I just dont ignore other projects. I understand most of
> voting people are not involved in G and therefore I can see where they come
> from (and no Jon, this was not directed to you in particular).
>
> The main difference is Im thinking of communities and not community.
>
> You are also plain wrong saying there is no way to contribute, there are
> plenty as on any asf projects and for most people it will be the exact

Is that what was said?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
CXF doesn't do that AFAIK and fully relies on the JVM API, Tomcat has some
code (
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/blob/trunk/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/net/openssl/OpenSSLContext.java)
but it is not much reusable so having a kind of commons-keys (bouncycastle
@asf to not hide it ;)).

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le 30 mars 2018 23:46, "David Blevins" <da...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]
> > code.  You -1 the code on the basis that it should go to Geronimo
instead
> > with the clear statement you will continue to -1 on future MicroProfile
> > code.  Can you see how this creates a situation where 11 people feel
they
> > have no ability to contribute to the project now or in the future?  Do
you
> > feel this is the spirit of the Apache Way and represents community over
> > code?
>

> More than never but I just dont ignore other projects. I understand most
of
> voting people are not involved in G and therefore I can see where they
come
> from (and no Jon, this was not directed to you in particular).
>
> The main difference is Im thinking of communities and not community.

I think it would be fair to assume everyone is thinking of communities
plural and that no one is ignoring the greater good of Apache.  Only that
there are differences in opinion on what that is and how it should be
achieved.

> You are also plain wrong saying there is no way to contribute, there are
> plenty as on any asf projects and for most people it will be the exact
same.

> Project is created @G, if T duplicates it what does happen? We get an half
> baked flavor on one side and another one on the other? Do you think it is
> the right thing for asf David? Do you want to split communities? Do you
> want to make of TomEE a put it all project which means getting rid of
TomEE
> as a thing?

We need to acknowledge that the community voted on where to continue
working on the code and that vote was overwhelmingly to continue evolving
it here.  The perspective of "TomEE is duplicating Geronimo" is a bit
skewed as you created that repo in Geronimo during this vote.  One could
question if that is healthy behavior, but ultimately it's ok.  Per ASF
rules, duplication is absolutely ok, not a bad thing and business as
usual.  You feel it is bad and are entitled to that opinion, but I don't
see you acknowledging your role in actively creating this duplication you
don't like.

There is also no code in the Geronimo repo you created, so if duplication
is a concern it can be avoided.  It stands to reason that for you where the
code lives, Geronimo, is the most important thing and if that means
duplication, that's a sacrifice you're willing to make.  Again, this is an
absolutely fine perspective and ok by Apache rules.  People should be
allowed to work where they want.

There is no code cause the fact to have started 2 threads in 2 communities
for the same project but JL in a position where i guess he is very bad to
do anything. Just my guess maybe. I also dont want to redo the code from
myself to not be disrespectful to JL.

> Im really fed up to be always felt as the bad guy but I also know it is
> wrong and will fail. Short terms it will fake some activity on the project
> (is it the goal?) Which can be good, long terms it will kill all the good
> of TomEE AND our libraries as mentionned earlier.
>
> If you want to pass it in force you can but please remive me from the pmc
> before.

You are not the bad guy and it would be terrible to see you step down from
the PMC.  I would not support you being removed and would actively address
any movement in that direction.  I don't think we as a community grow by
removing people.

My definition of success is coming through this with you still strong, not
the bad guy, but also that everyone feels they have the ability to keep
moving forward even if you disagree.  That this is business as usual and
disagreement is ok, even encouraged.  As PMC chair I feel it is my
responsibility to protect your and everyone's ability to disagree, but make
sure it is healthy and voices are both used and heard.  If anyone feels
like the bad guy, I'm doing a terrible job.  If anyone feels like their
voice doesn't matter, I'm doing a terrible job.  You have a strong voice
and that is an asset for the project.  I don't think the solution is for
your voice to get weaker, but for other voices to get a bit stronger.  I
think it's a common mistake to focus too much on the voices that talk, and
not enough on the ones that don't.  As I tend to say, "the only people who
don't break the build are the ones who do nothing."

As for leaving the PMC, I'd request you don't.  I think that teaches others
that disagreeing with you has consequences and will make them less likely
to feel comfortable disagreeing with you in any form.  We need to get to a
place where disagreement is encouraged in a healthy way and discussion
around disagreement is encouraged, not punished.  When people feel it is
safe to be wrong, they contribute more and earlier in the creative process.

It was more as a "if im always the only one seeing tomee differently i can
leave to let you space". Not as a threat.

What I do feel I need to clarify with the board is if a technical veto can
be issued on the basis that the code should exist exclusively in another
project.  A technical veto is usually meant to be accompanied by something
that can be fixed so the code can potentially move forward.  In this
situation it's been clarified there is nothing that could be done to make
the code acceptable here, moreover the code is in fact desirable and should
live in Geronimo.  This seems to say there's nothing technically wrong with
the code and this is a community based -1.  That's also ok, but if it is
about community direction likely the majority vote should carry, not the
minority.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le 29 mars 2018 03:29, "David Blevins" <da...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Mar 28, 2018, at 1:21 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just move the "main" code to the repo created @G and import the new lib in
> tomee MP as Roberto did for config. Nothing blocking JL to do them at all.

I will need to include the recent discussion in the April board report and
I want to fairly represent everyone's votes.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
:

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
@Matthew: with JWT you get a self contained token you validate without any
remote call, you just need to put @LoginConfig (from the MP spec, not the
servlet one) or the equivalent in the web.xml to activate it. To configure
it you can use mp-config to set the certificate which validate the JWT
signature (and optionally the date validation range).

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
>:

> would it allow configuration of an oauth endpoint in TomEE and then
> defining security-constraint in the web.xml of a webapp?  seems like a good
> plan if it drops the need for 3rd party libs

It is a "client" lib and in web.xml you can put "MP-JWT" to ensure the JWT
are validated and propagated to the request. (= validation side, not
emittion)

>> Hi Matthew,
>>
>> it is an impl of https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-jwt-auth
>>
>> Normally with a JWT you can drop these things as well - can need some
>> wrapper to handle the representation in a less raw way but nothing crazy.
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
>> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-
>> high-performance>

>> matthew.broadhead@nbmlaw.co.uk
>>
>>> :
>>> is this about JSON web tokens or some other JWT?
>>> is this JWT library similar to something like the keycloak tomcat
>>> adapter?
>>> http://www.keycloak.org/docs/2.5/securing_apps/topics/oidc/j
>>> ava/tomcat-adapter.html
>>> if so is there a specification on this and do different IDPs handle this

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
@Jon: drop some SE style code to move to CDI style and allow apps to
override "naturally" impls + droppring jose dep are the main ones. Some
optim in the Bean impl should pby be planned too but can need some more
investment and are less blocking for a 1.0.0.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Yes it would allow that.

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthew,

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Roberto PR *is* merged JL.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
What about this vote David?

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hey David,

Re: [RESULT] Explore creating a reusable JWT Library

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
> Sorry Romain but I still have doubts if the code is really reusable, like
> that you can just add it to WildFly or Payara and that it works. (like
> Geronimo Config for example)

It will support the CDI+servlet support OOTB, the PR brings the
servlet/EJB integration (independently of microprofile) and we plugged
in
for jwt-auth to have EJB integration.

But it still means we are reusable in any CDI/servlet based server
OOTB without any dep and fully cover tomee scope so yes we are
reusable - we did it intentionally.

> Things like integrating with @RolesAllowed is not standardized (except
> using JASPIC maybe which I tried but I had other issues)

It is done though the CDI extension

> More generic parts like injecting the Claims etc, that could work.

Still a CDI thing.

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
The PR has been merged.
Thanks everyone for voting.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthew,

Posted by Matthew Broadhead <ma...@nbmlaw.co.uk>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.
+1.

I'd like to see the code merged and evolve a little within the the TomEE
context. It's relatively easy to discuss/extract reuse later, but I'd
like to see TomEE move forward first.

The same goes for the config PR from Roberto.

Andy.

--
Andy Gumbrecht
https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe

Ubique

Re: [VOTE] Explore creating a reusable JWT Library

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.
+0

If it needs to be reusable it should also work with other Application
Servers (which I don't believe is possible with MP JWT Auth).

So First within TomEE and then try it to extract it and make it work
elsewhere also.

Rudy

Posted by Ivan Junckes Filho <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago Veronezi <th...@veronezi.org>.
+1 Let's give it a shot here

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to wrap this up so if you have other questions or would like to vote, now is the time.  Reminder, you do not need to be a committer to vote.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins