Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2003/10/05 22:04:43 UTC

Re: [collections] CollectionUtils.index() behavior

Phil Steitz wrote:
> It seems to me that this sort of thing should be able to be handled by
> lazy consensus. From Stephen's remarks, it appears that he is -1 to
> deprecation without replacement, which means to me that there is no
> consensus on deprecation without replacement, so we should either leave
> it alone (which I don't think anyone who has looked carefully at the
> code would support) or deprecate with replacement.
>
> My short term plan, which I will carry out when I get back from
> travelling this Thursday, is to deprecate the current method and replace
> it with another method in CollectionUtils named something like
> "getIndex" (or maybe just "get") with the API that Stephen proposed
> above.  This plan is itself subject to lazy consensus, so if any "-1s"
> appear in the next couple of days, I will not follow through with it.
>
> Phil

I have committed the changes to add get(object, index) and deprecate the
index(-,-) methods.  I decided not to return null for index values out
of range or unsupported object types; however, because this would be
ambiguous (objects could contain nulls). The current implementation
throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException and IllegalArgumentException in
these cases.  I am open to suggestions for how to handle these cases
differently if others do not like this.

Phil