Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org> on 2012/12/18 21:01:38 UTC

directory to artifact name mapping

I've just resolved STANBOL-843 which required some artifacts to be renamed.

Also I've seen that the directory ldtemplaterenderer has been renamed to
ldpathtemplate in r1420603 to match the naming in the pom.

This raises two point:
- Are there strict rules on the artifact-id to directory mapping?
- "ldpathtemplate" as a name might be a bit misleading as one might expect
a working bundleization of ldpathtemplate but in fact it's a service
rendering graphnodes using ldpathtemplate. So maybe it would be better to
rename the artifact.

Cheers,
Reto

Re: directory to artifact name mapping

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
another option would be to define a special case for directory name "core"
that this need not to be part of the artifact name. so that we could have

commons/web/base/core -> commons.web.base
commons/web/base/jersey -> commons.web.base.jersey

The counterpart could be the convention that the artifact suffix "parent"
need not be matched by a folder name which can be handy if for some modules
you wan to have parent and reactor in one.

Cheers,
Reto

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

the directory name should fit the artifact name. Otherwise it is just
confusing when searching in the code tree for the artifact. That's why I
did the renaming of "ldpathtemplate" because the artifact was named like
this.

I have also seen directories with a dot "." in the name like "base.jersey".
I have not see such a use of dots in directory names before and to me this
is also a bit confusing. Maybe because of the Java convention using the dot
as a package / directory splitter.

It is always a good idea to ask the community for naming suggestions if
unsure about the name before bringing it in the code base.

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian