Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com> on 2006/03/09 21:17:47 UTC

ChangeLog and/or svn log?

The subversion project HACKING file very nicely documents how to keep
the svn log history in a useful change log format.  If you have not
read I highly recomend it.  Additionally some coding standards (such
as GNU) require an actual ChangeLog file to be included in source
distributions.  This means that generally similar information is
available in two different places.  Certainly with RCS/CVS a ChangeLog
is really useful.  But Subversion offers changesets and a unified log
history of the project.

I am curious

  a) if people are actively keeping a ChangeLog file so that it is
     available offline and in distributions?

  b) if people are using the svn log as the only change log?

  c) if people don't bother to maintain a project log?

Depending on the project I have been continuing a) with a ChangeLog
file in addition to the svn log.  In others I do b) only making use of
the svn log by itself.  To me c) is anathema.

I am debating with myself the merits of each and trying to decide what
to do about future projects and am looking for input from the group.
Do you still keep a separate ChangeLog?

Thanks
Bob

Re: ChangeLog and/or svn log?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/9/06, Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com> wrote:
> The subversion project HACKING file very nicely documents how to keep
> the svn log history in a useful change log format.  If you have not
> read I highly recomend it.  Additionally some coding standards (such
> as GNU) require an actual ChangeLog file to be included in source
> distributions.  This means that generally similar information is
> available in two different places.  Certainly with RCS/CVS a ChangeLog
> is really useful.  But Subversion offers changesets and a unified log
> history of the project.
>
> I am curious
>
>   a) if people are actively keeping a ChangeLog file so that it is
>      available offline and in distributions?
>
>   b) if people are using the svn log as the only change log?
>
>   c) if people don't bother to maintain a project log?
>
> Depending on the project I have been continuing a) with a ChangeLog
> file in addition to the svn log.  In others I do b) only making use of
> the svn log by itself.  To me c) is anathema.

We've only recently started using SVN but we're doing a combination of
A) and B) for my application (an internal-only web-based application).
 Because we're a public company in the US, we're subject to
Sarbanes-Oxley and have tons of paperwork required for each change to
the software.  As part of this process, every time we do a migration
between environments, we have documentation of what files got moved,
and a high-level "what's this change for?" document.  We also have an
item tracked in our helpdesk call-ticket system.  All on paper.  That
covers A, I think.

Now that we're using SVN, I'm encouraging committers to write useful
log messages containing the change # and/or ticket # and a description
of what changes they made.  I've written a script to pull the last
week's worth of logs and produce an HTML page showing the log messages
and what files were affected.  I think this is your B?

We'll be using the log produced from SVN on a regular basis to
reconcile changes in the environments against the requests logged in
our change tracking/helpdesk ticket system.  If we had integrated
something like Trac into the system (which I may do on my local
installation, but it won't happen across the organization), we could
probably roll a lot of this all into one package based around B).

Re: ChangeLog and/or svn log?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/23/06, Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com> wrote:
> > See also http://freshmeat.net/projects/svn2cl/.
>
> I looked at that and while it seems a reasonable directory it did not
> work very well for me.  It seems to want RCS/CVS style log messages
> because it tries to add filenames to the changelog.  But a subversion
> HACKING file recommended style ends up with duplicated output.  But it
> is a place to start if I were building my own log to changelog script.

I've been using svn2cl for a couple months now to generate HTML
changelogs.  Really, I used it as a starting point for my own
changelogs - you can hack the script and XSL however you like to
generate the results you need.

I didn't know he'd released a new version back in February; I'll have
to merge his changes into my own copy and see what's new.  I also plan
on submitting my changes back to the author at some point.

Re: ChangeLog and/or svn log?

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > I am debating with myself the merits of each and trying to decide what
> > to do about future projects and am looking for input from the group.
> > Do you still keep a separate ChangeLog?

Thanks to all of you who replied with ideas and information.  It is
much appreciated.  I am still debating.  But there is no one right
answer.  I can definitely see where different projects will have
different needs and choose one or the other.

> We do (b) in the Subversion project.  See the function 'quicklog' in
> http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/kfogel/trunk/.bashrc, and its callers,
> for some helper code.

Thanks for that.  I learned a couple of new features of the svn log
command by reading that.  (And I have not seen 'dc' used in a script
in many years. :-)

> See also http://freshmeat.net/projects/svn2cl/.

I looked at that and while it seems a reasonable directory it did not
work very well for me.  It seems to want RCS/CVS style log messages
because it tries to add filenames to the changelog.  But a subversion
HACKING file recommended style ends up with duplicated output.  But it
is a place to start if I were building my own log to changelog script.

Thanks!
Bob

Re: ChangeLog and/or svn log?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 10 Mar 2006 14:26:08 -0600, kfogel@collab.net <kf...@collab.net> wrote:
> We do (b) in the Subversion project.  See the function 'quicklog' in
> http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/kfogel/trunk/.bashrc, and its callers,
> for some helper code.  See also http://freshmeat.net/projects/svn2cl/.

Subversion also makes the RM (or someone else) produce a
hand-generated CHANGES file that has plain-English summary
descriptions of what changed in that version.  -- justin

Re: ChangeLog and/or svn log?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) writes:
> The subversion project HACKING file very nicely documents how to keep
> the svn log history in a useful change log format.  If you have not
> read I highly recomend it.  Additionally some coding standards (such
> as GNU) require an actual ChangeLog file to be included in source
> distributions.  This means that generally similar information is
> available in two different places.  Certainly with RCS/CVS a ChangeLog
> is really useful.  But Subversion offers changesets and a unified log
> history of the project.
>
> I am curious
>
>   a) if people are actively keeping a ChangeLog file so that it is
>      available offline and in distributions?
>
>   b) if people are using the svn log as the only change log?
>
>   c) if people don't bother to maintain a project log?
>
> Depending on the project I have been continuing a) with a ChangeLog
> file in addition to the svn log.  In others I do b) only making use of
> the svn log by itself.  To me c) is anathema.
>
> I am debating with myself the merits of each and trying to decide what
> to do about future projects and am looking for input from the group.
> Do you still keep a separate ChangeLog?

We do (b) in the Subversion project.  See the function 'quicklog' in
http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/kfogel/trunk/.bashrc, and its callers,
for some helper code.  See also http://freshmeat.net/projects/svn2cl/.

-Karl

--