Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2008/07/30 17:58:06 UTC

upcoming 10.4.2 release

I volunteer to manage a 10.4 maintenance release at the end of August.
Specifically, I would like to:

1) Circulate release notes the week of August 18.

2) Post a release candidate the week of August 25.

Could the community be ready for a release at the end of August? In
particular

A) By the evening of August 18, could people be done posting their
release notes?

B) By the evening of August 25, could people be done porting their
important bug fixes to 10.4?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: upcoming 10.4.2 release

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I volunteer to manage a 10.4 maintenance release at the end of August.

Thanks for volunteering, Rick!

> Specifically, I would like to:
>
> 1) Circulate release notes the week of August 18.
>
> 2) Post a release candidate the week of August 25.
>
> Could the community be ready for a release at the end of August? In
> particular
>
> A) By the evening of August 18, could people be done posting their
> release notes?

I don't think any of my fixes will require a release note.

> B) By the evening of August 25, could people be done porting their
> important bug fixes to 10.4?

I'm on vacation starting August 8, and will be back August 25. So I have
to get everything done this week. I'll summarize what I have been
working on for the 10.4.2 release below. Most issues are regarding LOBs
or connection pooling environments.

The following Jiras are on my list of current important fixes:
   DERBY-3799 : NPE with LOBs seen when using connection pooling
   DERBY-3791 : Excessive memory usage when fetching small Clobs
   DERBY-3766 : EmbedBlob.setPosition is highly ineffective for streams

These have all been committed to trunk already, but DERBY-3791 and
DERBY-3766 have to be backported.

In addition the following issues are already backported to 10.4:
   DERBY-3735 : Incorrect position calculation in PositionedStoreStream
with read(byte[],...)
   DERBY-3768 : Make EmbedBlob.length use skip instead of read
   DERBY-3769 : Make LOBStoredProcedure on the server side smarter about
the read buffer size
   DERBY-3781 : PositionedStoreStream.reposition(pos) with pos greater
than length leaves the stream object in an inconsistent state
   DERBY-3783 : LOBStreamControl shouldn't throw SQLException
   DERBY-3596 : Creation of logical connections from a pooled connection
causes resource leak on the server

There are more fixes coming in this area of the code, but I probably
won't have time to get them done for 10.4.2.

BTW; If anyone has some free cycles, I would appreciate some input on
DERBY-2822 (Add caching of store stream length in StoreStreamClob, if
appropriate), which should be a rather simple fix if it is valid. It was
when looking a bit into this I observed DERBY-3811.

regards,
--
Kristian

Re: upcoming 10.4.2 release

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> I volunteer to manage a 10.4 maintenance release at the end of August.
> <snip detail schedule>
>
> Thanks for volunteering to make the release.  The schedule sounds fine
> but doesn't give much time for bug fixing.  Hopefully everyone can
> pick up a bug or two before then.  For ideas please see
> High Value Fix Candidates:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&customfield_12310200=High+Value+Fix&resolution=-1&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
>

> Open Code Bugs:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&type=1&pid=10594&status=1&status=3&status=4&component=11407&component=12312171&component=11409&component=11690&component=11410&component=11709&component=12312050&component=11411&component=11415&component=11408&component=11412&component=11414&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
>

> Kathey

Thanks for the quick feedback, Kathey. I have created a webpage to track
this release and have added links to several bug lists, including High
Value Fix Candidates and Open Bugs. Feel free to add material to this page.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: upcoming 10.4.2 release

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: upcoming 10.4.2 release

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I volunteer to manage a 10.4 maintenance release at the end of August.
I see only the following bugs marked fixed in 10.5, but not in 10.4.

DERBY-3705  |[DERBY-3705] In Net Client mode, negative values for stream
length are accepted without an exception for
PreparedStatement.setA&|Suran Jayathilaka
I think this is probably not appropriate for backport as we are throwing
an exception where none was thrown before.

DERBY-3682  |[DERBY-3682] SYSCS_BULK_INSERT doesn't quote identifiers or
strings properly   |Knut Anders Hatlen
Seems like this would be good to backport.

DERBY-3544  |[DERBY-3544] If NetworkServer fails to shutdown when run as
a separate process by NetworkServerTestSetup, test run will hang
|Daniel John Debrunner
Good to backport, but affects tests only.

DERBY-3431  |[DERBY-3431] DatabaseMetaData.getConnection returns the
wrong connection when using connection pooling     |Kristian Waagan
Seems like this would be good to backport.

Thanks

Kathey