Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/05/12 22:16:30 UTC

documentation updated; help needed

All,

I've just updated the phoenix documentation like I did for the framework
earlier. I found we have quite a few blind spots that need filling. It
would be nice if y'all could help out with especially

- The Administrator's guide (guide-administrator*.xml) (which really is
  non-existent)
- The Deployer's guide (guide-deployers*.xml) (which is also
  non-existent)
- The features document (features.xml) (which is brand-new and
  incomplete)
- The TODO list (for-developers-todo.xml) (which is severely outdated)
- The architecural overview (guide-architecture.xml) (it would be nice
  to have a program flow description and some more detailed
  organisational graphs)

Complaints about the difficulty of doing so will not be listened to as
the process merely consists of getting jakarta-avalon-phoenix from CVS,
editing the xml files in src/xdocs, testing them by typing

ant docs -buildfile docs.xml

in the root of that module, looking at the generated docs in build/docs
to check they are ok, then committing the changes to src/xdocs, and
copying changed files in build/docs over to
jakarta-avalon-site/docs/phoenix and committing those changed files.
(smiling :P)

BTW, changes will be visible on the site in about 6 hours.

- Leo

Re: documentation updated; help needed

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Leo,

Great work dude.

>- The features document (features.xml) (which is brand-new and
>  incomplete)

I have had a look at this and find it difficult to find a point at which
to add things.  That is a compliment :-)

Also, I have a small problem with the use of the word 'component' and
how you use it with 'block'.  I see things as services, with the block
as the impl.  Thus phrases like 'A service could have many block
implementions'.

>Complaints about the difficulty of doing so will not be listened to as
>the process merely consists of getting jakarta-avalon-phoenix from CVS,
>editing the xml files in src/xdocs, testing them by typing
>
>ant docs -buildfile docs.xml

Here here!

>in the root of that module, looking at the generated docs in build/docs
>to check they are ok, then committing the changes to src/xdocs, and
>copying changed files in build/docs over to
>jakarta-avalon-site/docs/phoenix and committing those changed files.
>(smiling :P)

The copy can be done en-masse with :-

  ant -buildfile docs.xml site-docs

After that, you could cherry pick the ones you want to commit.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: documentation updated; help needed

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Sounds great. I will try to have a closer look sometime soon. In the meantime
could you add the TODOs into Bugzilla?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald