Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2005/07/10 20:58:14 UTC

Unstable builds -- use uberbuild?

	I'm fooling with David B's script to cerate the unstable builds..
It didn't work for me originally becasue at the time we depended on some
TranQL changes that weren't in a TranQL SNAPSHOT.  In the last couple days
we've also had changes in OpenEJB required by Geronimo.
	It seems to me that the easiest course would be to have the script
do an uberbuild:

svn co [geronimo] && cd geronimo && maven m:co && maven m:rebuild-all

	Then we're pretty sure the binary will be coordinated.  The next
question is whether we should include the TranQL and OpenEJB source in our
source tarball or just the Geronimo source.  I guess for official builds
we probably need to restrict it to geronimo source for licensing reasons.
I'm not sure if that would be compelling for unstable builds.  It would be
nice to have the whole tree in there together, even though this still
doesn't make the whole thing "repeatable" (since we still depend on so
many SNAPSHOTS).

	I don't want to start the shapshot issue on this thread, though, I
just wonder what others think about building a binary via the uberbuild
and distributing source for OpenEJB and TranQL in the source tarball.

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: Unstable builds -- use uberbuild?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

>     Then we're pretty sure the binary will be coordinated.  The next
> question is whether we should include the TranQL and OpenEJB source
> in our
> source tarball or just the Geronimo source.  I guess for official
> builds
> we probably need to restrict it to geronimo source for licensing
> reasons.
> I'm not sure if that would be compelling for unstable builds.  It
> would be
> nice to have the whole tree in there together, even though this still
> doesn't make the whole thing "repeatable" (since we still depend on so
> many SNAPSHOTS).

I don't think we want to distribute source from elsewhere.

>     I don't want to start the shapshot issue on this thread, though, I
> just wonder what others think about building a binary via the
> uberbuild
> and distributing source for OpenEJB and TranQL in the source tarball.

Ok - I was going to say :

"Well, given the close relationships we have w/ OpenEJB and TranQL,
couldn't we just ask those projects to do a dated unstable build
distinguishable from a SNAPSHOT?"

But I wont's since you don't want that on this thread.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Unstable builds -- use uberbuild?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
license questions aside, I think that would be fine and the most likely
way to get something reasonably consistent and repeatable until we have
a m2 build.

david jencks