Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Ax...@europe.adp.com> on 2004/11/26 08:25:10 UTC

[users@httpd] RE: more than 1 user can access site even if MaxClients = 1

 They do not access the server simultaneously. The server first serves the request from one client, and then the request from the other.

The MaxClient only determines the maximum number of server processes forked to handle requests. The worse thing that can happen if you run out of server processes is that requests will queue up waiting for an available process, and if a sufficient number of requests get queued, additional requests will be rejected.

The maximum number of requests that can pile up is determined by the value of ListenBacklog.

-ascs

Posted by Charles Agaton <ag...@yahoo.com>.
thanks axel. is there a way to limit the number of
clients that can access the website? im trying to
limit the site so that only 5 users(with different ip
addresses) can access it. perhaps after 10 minutes of
inactivity of a client another user(with a new ip
address) who wishes to access the site can replace
that idle client.

--- Axel-St�phane  SMORGRAV
<Ax...@europe.adp.com> wrote:

>  They do not access the server simultaneously. The
> server first serves the request from one client, and
> then the request from the other.
>
> The MaxClient only determines the maximum number of
> server processes forked to handle requests. The
> worse thing that can happen if you run out of server
> processes is that requests will queue up waiting for
> an available process, and if a sufficient number of
> requests get queued, additional requests will be
> rejected.
>
> The maximum number of requests that can pile up is
> determined by the value of ListenBacklog.
>
> -ascs

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com