Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Alex Dovlecel <do...@kbs.twi.tudelft.nl> on 2002/11/14 14:08:08 UTC

SOAP better than other RPC ?

I am trying to write my license paper on WEB Services and SOAP (in
particular). And I am interested also in presenting the AXIS and SOAP tools
from Apache.

But for begining, it will be very interesting to listen to your ideas about
why SOAP is better (or not) than other RPC stuff? And when should be picked
up as a reliable transport layer for an application (in what particular
circumstances), and when not...

My own oppinion: SOAP is great because it starts to spread very fast... and
is even used by .NET platform. Even interop is sometimes a problem, this
seems to be a very good tool for crossplatform communication and stuff like
this.

Is very easy to develop soap services, and is very easy to see the data that
is send...

And I might have alot of PROs for soap... but none of them comes right now in
my mind. :o)))

It will be great to hear from you (on axis-user), because is not enough just
reading the books or the axis site...

Tx
dovle