Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jackie Warren <ja...@voicenet.com> on 2000/08/26 23:42:17 UTC

Case-insensitive context path?

Is it possible to configure Tomcat so that the context path is
case-insensitive?  That is, I want requests for
"http://localhost/MyContext/servlet/MyServlet"
"http://localhost/mYcOnteXT/servlet/MyServlet" and
"http://localhost/mycontext/servlet/MyServlet" to be routed to the same
servlet context.

The solution will need to work in both standalone Tomcat and IIS/Tomcat
environments.

Thanks,
Jackie Warren

Re: Case-insensitive context path?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Toby Piper wrote:

> We just went through the process of figuring out why it was context sensitive
> ourselves. It appears that it is the ISAPI filter that is context sensitive. We
> can see where the filter is grabbing the context with one case but not with
> others by looking at the logs.
>
> We haven't tried Tomcat in a stand-alone mode to see it is also case sensitive.
> If so it should be fixed too.

I disagree.

The specs for URIs say that the hostname part is case insensitive, but
*not* the
path part.  The fact that IIS (and probably most web servers running
under Windows)
allow case insensitive matches means they are not enforcing the rules
correctly.

Context paths, and all the rest of the request URI, are case sensitive
and should
remain that way inside Tomcat.

Craig McClanahan

RE: Case-insensitive context path?