Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by BIAGINI Nathan <na...@altanis.fr> on 2012/12/04 10:33:54 UTC

Lucene 4.0, Serialization

I need to send a class containing Lucene elements such as `Query` over
the network using EJB and of course this class need to be serialized. I
marked my class as `Serializable` but it does not seems to be enough:

     org.apache.lucene.search.TermQuery is not Serializable

Indeed, when i read the javadoc of the last stable release of Lucene
(4.0), i can see that `TermQuery` does not implement Serializable,
`Query` neither. What i don't understand is why those classes used to
implement `Serializable` in the last release (3.6.1), and why it's no
longer the case?

Re: Lucene 4.0, Serialization

Posted by mark harwood <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.
This was part of the rationale for introducing the XML Query Parser:

1) An extensible query syntax that is expressive enough to represent the full range of Lucene functions (filters, moreLikeThis etc)
2) Serializable
3) Language independent
4) Decouples the holder of query criteria from the  implementations that execute the query.

Cheers
Mark

________________________________
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM, BIAGINI Nathan
<na...@altanis.fr> wrote:
> I need to send a class containing Lucene elements such as `Query` over the
> network using EJB and of course this class need to be serialized. I marked
> my class as `Serializable` but it does not seems to be enough:
>
>     org.apache.lucene.search.TermQuery is not Serializable
>
> Indeed, when i read the javadoc of the last stable release of Lucene (4.0),
> i can see that `TermQuery` does not implement Serializable, `Query` neither.
> What i don't understand is why those classes used to implement
> `Serializable` in the last release (3.6.1), and why it's no longer the case?

Although I am curious about this myself, couldn't you just send a query string?

TX

Re: Lucene 4.0, Serialization

Posted by BIAGINI Nathan <na...@altanis.fr>.
Le 04/12/12 10:43, Trejkaz a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM, BIAGINI Nathan
> <na...@altanis.fr> wrote:
>> I need to send a class containing Lucene elements such as `Query` over the
>> network using EJB and of course this class need to be serialized. I marked
>> my class as `Serializable` but it does not seems to be enough:
>>
>>      org.apache.lucene.search.TermQuery is not Serializable
>>
>> Indeed, when i read the javadoc of the last stable release of Lucene (4.0),
>> i can see that `TermQuery` does not implement Serializable, `Query` neither.
>> What i don't understand is why those classes used to implement
>> `Serializable` in the last release (3.6.1), and why it's no longer the case?
> Although I am curious about this myself, couldn't you just send a query string?
>
> TX

OFC i could.

Re: Lucene 4.0, Serialization

Posted by Trejkaz <tr...@trypticon.org>.