Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org> on 2016/07/14 13:15:59 UTC

[REPORT]: Apache Thrift - July 2016

 Apache Thrift is a framework for providing cross-platform RPC and
serialization.

Project Status
---------
The Apache Thrift community has seen a drop in activity this quarter due to
issues with our CI pipeline and the ability for us to quickly test new
contributions. Our backlog was spread across multiple systems and we had
multiple ways a new code contribution could be submitted with multiple CI
systems all testing different things and having their own set of problems.

The Apache Thrift community discussed what was occurring on the dev@ list
and
the consensus was made to create a single work flow which would involve
moving
fully over to Github for all code contributions, stopping use of the ASF
Jenkins for CI and using Travis and AppVeyor to meet our needs. We now have
this new single work flow in place and are seeing successful green builds on
master again for new contributions.

We are now discussing how to best go back through the backlog and test
previously contributed patches in the new work flow while we continue
working
to improve our test speed and coverage.

With the new work flow in place and successful builds from our CI we
are planning to cut our 0.10.0 release candidate before the end of July.

Community
---
Latest Additions:

* PMC addition:            Nobuaki Sukegawa, 1.25.2016
* Contributor addition:  Simon South, 2.1.2016
                                      Mark Erickson, 2.15.2016

Issue backlog status since last report:

* Created:    89
* Resolved:  49

Mailing list activity since last report:

* @dev    1436 messages
* @user   71 messages

Releases
---
Last release: 0.9.3, Release Date: Oct 6, 2015