Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by 王双双 <wo...@163.com> on 2019/06/16 12:06:09 UTC

message.max.bytes

Hello everyone,
I have recently encountered a problem with the parameter 'message.max.bytes'. Here are the details: There are 1000 messages that I have not consumed, each message is 7KB, and a log under
 the topic is 106MB. I altered the parameter 'message.max.bytes' from 4MB to 1MB, then I restarted the kafka server. I checked the message in each partition, unfortunately, the message that have not been consumed disappeared.
Note: my kafka  server version is 0.10.0.1, I created a topic with 3 replicas and 6 partitions.
Does anyone know where the disappeared message gone? Can I recover this?
I appreciate it if anyone replies to me soon.

Best regards.
Wang

Re: message.max.bytes

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Can you see anything from server logs whether this has been purged ? As far
as I can remember, you are not supposed to just make it smaller without
future issues.

Let us here know what you can find from logs. Also, you should think about
configuring request and server level max size to avoid such issues.