Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "McDonald, Dan" <Da...@austinenergy.com> on 2009/10/27 23:30:03 UTC

sa-update randomly stops

I run sa-update and sa-compile from a cron job at a regular interval.
At seemingly random times, it simply fails to run.  All I get in the
cron log is:

        gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on homedir `/etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-update-keys'
        [8641] info: generic: base extraction starting. this can take a while...
        [8641] info: generic: extracting from rules of type body_0

I'm trapping errors in the bash script that calls sa-compile, but it
never tells me that there is an error.

It looks like there is a temp directory with stuff in it left over from
the attempt.

The logs have nothing useful, just the call in /var/log/cron/info
Nothing in warnings or errors
Oct 27 14:35:00 ca CROND[8627]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/sbin/sa-update-cron)

When I run it by hand, I never have encountered this problem.

What can I do to troubleshoot this more, or should I just wait to see if
it still happens when 3.3.0 is released?

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com

Re: sa-update randomly stops

Posted by "McDonald, Dan" <Da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 18:52 -0400, Adam Katz wrote:
> McDonald, Dan wrote:
> > I run sa-update and sa-compile from a cron job at a regular interval.
> >
> >    gpg: WARNING: unsafe permissions on homedir `/etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-update-keys'
> >    [8641] info: generic: base extraction starting. this can take a while...
> >    [8641] info: generic: extracting from rules of type body_0
> >
> > It looks like there is a temp directory with stuff in it left over from
> > the attempt.
> >
> > The logs have nothing useful, just the call in /var/log/cron/info
> > Nothing in warnings or errors
> > Oct 27 14:35:00 ca CROND[8627]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/sbin/sa-update-cron)
> >
> > When I run it by hand, I never have encountered this problem.
>
> It appears you're running it as the wrong user via cron and the
> correct user by hand.  Who owns that leftover stuff in the temp
> directory?  Who owns /etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-update-keys?  They
> should be the same, and the sa-update-keys directory should be
> rwx------ for that user (and maybe also owned by that user's primary
> group).

No, that does not appear to be the issue.  The sa-compile script will
complete 6 times out of 7, just random failures with no logs.  The rest
of the time it works fine.

Re: sa-update randomly stops

Posted by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com>.