Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by sachin chaudhari <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/21 04:03:26 UTC

web services performance

Hi,

I did a simple test to see how much performance
penalty one will have to pay for Openness of SOAP.
RMI was 6 times faster than web services. I used a
very simple function call  to test this. (I am not
claiming that I am right, but this is what I got!!!)

I am sure other architects are also facing the
challenge of deciding what level of services one needs
to expose as web services. If we decide to expose
fundamental services then performace of the
applications will be very slow.

I am very interested in knowing what you think about
the future of web services performance? Any benchmark
data available to compare web services & other
protocals like CORBA or RMI or servlets.

Any comments will be highly appreciated.

RE: web services performance

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.
thanks!

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.
thanks!

Posted by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@unrealities.com>.

Posted by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@unrealities.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
I certainly expect Axis to outperform to Apache SOAP. However,
comparing Axis and Apache SOAP right now is not useful (IMO)
until Axis supports SOAP Attachments too.

I believe GLUE does support SOAP Attachments.

Sanjiva.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.
hi glen,

only some of it is due to GLUE<->GLUE optimizations.
from what i've been told, GLUE<-><other> is pretty fast too.
i'll leave it to others to create the performance benchmarks! ;-)

cheers,
graham

p.s. GLUE 3.1, due out soon, is about 10% faster than 3.0

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.
yes, but no-one believes you when you spout your own
benchmarks, so i encourage you to perform your own ;-)

This is really a good new. Have you compared GLUE with
RMI or other implementations?

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.

Posted by sachin chaudhari <ch...@yahoo.com>.
graham