Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no> on 2002/08/16 15:58:38 UTC

Case insensitive path attributes of ?

Platform: Intel PIII, RedHat 7.2, BlackDown JDK 1.3.1, apache 1.3.20,
          tomcat 3.3, Struts 1.0

Is it possible to make the Struts ActionServlet class treat the path
attributes of <action> elements in the struts-config.xml file, as case
insensitive?

Thanx!

- Steinar

Re: Case insensitive path attributes of ?

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Steinar Bang wrote:

>> Is it possible to make the Struts ActionServlet class treat the
>> path attributes of <action> elements in the struts-config.xml file,
>> as case insensitive?

> No.

OK.  It was a long shot anyway, and I didn't find anything in the
docs.

> And even if you could, the servlet container is going to be case
> sensitive anyway, as is the Java compiler, the filesystem (since
> you're talking about Linux), and basically every other aspect of
> your system.

Yes, I know.  But that wouldn't matter in my case, because it is only
the actual abs_path of the URL that would have needed to be case
insensitive.

> The best thing to do is get used to case sensitivity.

I am.

I was just trying to work around a thoroughly broken embedded browser
that
 1. doesn't follow a 302 redirect (irrelevant for this problem)
 2. lowercases everything in the abs_path part of the URL, resulting in
    404 instead of 200 responses (relevant for this problem)

I guess this serves us right for using mixed case in the path
attributes...? :-/

Hm... but there isn't much that needs to be changed to make them all
lowercase, is there?  Just the struts-config.xml file, and then
perhaps change the entry URLs into the webapp?

Re: Case insensitive path attributes of ?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Steinar Bang wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:58:38 +0200
> From: Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.user
> Subject: Case insensitive path attributes of <action>?
>
> Platform: Intel PIII, RedHat 7.2, BlackDown JDK 1.3.1, apache 1.3.20,
>           tomcat 3.3, Struts 1.0
>
> Is it possible to make the Struts ActionServlet class treat the path
> attributes of <action> elements in the struts-config.xml file, as case
> insensitive?

No.  And even if you could, the servlet container is going to be case
sensitive anyway, as is the Java compiler, the filesystem (since you're
talking about Linux), and basically every other aspect of your system.

The best thing to do is get used to case sensitivity.

> Thanx!
>

> - Steinar

Craig