Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by marc ratun <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2004/10/20 10:53:21 UTC

visualisation of multiple content snippets on a single page

Hi,

I'm currently messing arround with a portal-like cms. I'm not quite sure yet
how to efficiently include
multiple content snippets from the different components.

Different components are the navigation, teaser, content and community
components like a who-is-online list.

There are several ways to implement the data-visualisation-collaboration.
One is to send the data via internal data structures (Collection Framework
or other objects) and then display it using a velocity parser for each
content snippet. The other way is to use xml as data format and xslt for
visualisation. I'd like to strictly separate between business logic and
visualisation.

Does anyone know which solution has a better performance?

How could I improve the velocity approach?

  Marc

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrea,

> I'm making some search in the User mailing-list archive, for example:

## snip

> Is there someone that has knowledge of this problem?
I don't, but you can try here, also
    http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.comp.jakarta.velocity

Best regards,
-- Shinobu Kawai

--
Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>

Posted by Andrea Sponziello <an...@unile.it>.
Hi all,

I'm making some search in the User mailing-list archive, for example:

"1st time macro"

Clicking on the first resource (but also others):

http://www.mail-archive.com/velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg13056.html

The server shows me this message:
---------------
*Error: could not read mail message

[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/home/archive/archive/velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg13056.html'
------------------
Yesterday I also received similar messages...

Is there someone that has knowledge of this problem?

Tanks in advance,

Andrea
*

Re: visualisation of multiple content snippets on a single page

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marc,

> I'm currently messing arround with a portal-like cms. I'm not quite sure yet
> how to efficiently include
> multiple content snippets from the different components.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a "cms"?

> Different components are the navigation, teaser, content and community
> components like a who-is-online list.
>
> There are several ways to implement the data-visualisation-collaboration.
> One is to send the data via internal data structures (Collection Framework
> or other objects) and then display it using a velocity parser for each
> content snippet. The other way is to use xml as data format and xslt for
> visualisation. I'd like to strictly separate between business logic and
> visualisation.
>
> Does anyone know which solution has a better performance?
>
> How could I improve the velocity approach?
I don't know about performance, but you could try
VelocityLayoutServlet or Tiles.
    http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/tools/view/layoutservlet.html
    http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/tools/struts/TilesTool.html
Or you could get back to the basics and use #parse.
    http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/user-guide.html#Parse

Best regards,
-- Shinobu Kawai

--