Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Mattias Jiderhamn <ma...@expertsystem.se> on 2002/08/30 09:04:52 UTC

Wrapped types and MS Toolkit

I'm developing a SOAP service and would like to return wrapped base types,
such as Double and Boolean.

The person developing a client with the MS SOAP Toolkit clames to have
prolems with theese return values. boolean works fine but Boolean gives some
type error. First it didn't work at all, but after modifying the WSDL type
to xsd:anyType the values Boolean(true) and Boolean(false) works, but not
null.

I'm really not an MS programmer, but maybe somebody could give me some hints
what to do about this problem.

Thanks in advance,

  Mattias Jiderhamn mattias@expertsystem.se
  Expert Systems www.expertsystem.se

Re: Wrapped types and MS Toolkit

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
The use of xsi:nil seems in this scenario may be questionable.  In
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/ I see the following:

2.6.2 xsi:nil
XML Schema: Structures introduces a mechanism for signaling that an element
should be accepted as ·valid· when it has no content despite a content type
which does not require or even necessarily allow empty content. An element
may be ·valid· without content if it has the attribute xsi:nil with the
value true. An element so labeled must be empty, but can carry attributes if
permitted by the corresponding complex type.

<<<<

Note that is speaks only of "corresponding complex type".
xsi:type="xsd:boolean" is specifying a simple type, not a complex type.

Scott Nichol

Posted by Mattias Jiderhamn <ma...@expertsystem.se>.
There must be something wrong with my keyboard, 3 typos in 3 lines...
I hope it's not the same in my code, and that's what causing the problem.
:-)

Posted by Mattias Jiderhamn <ma...@expertsystem.se>.
OK, I tried the latest nightly build and the response causing problems was
identical.

Posted by Mattias Jiderhamn <ma...@expertsystem.se>.

Posted by Mattias Jiderhamn <ma...@expertsystem.se>.

Posted by Mattias Jiderhamn <ma...@expertsystem.se>.