Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> on 2009/03/06 00:09:07 UTC

RE: Question about IP rights

Hi Carl,

Thanks for replying.

The situation here is somewhat different. I'm doing the work and
creating the code, yes, and I'm a committer with an ICLA on file. So
in cases where I just do the work, all the rights go to Apache. No
problem.

In times when I've advised Microsoft folks on code they were doing,
I've told them straight up it has to go in via a JIRA with rights
assigned. Don't give it to me, I can't help you.

However, the wrinkle here is that I'm being paid by Microsoft to work
on some parts of Qpid. In this case, the code is a "work for hire" and
Microsoft owns it. Since I don't have the right to give Microsoft's
stuff away, I'm stuck. So even though Microsoft will pay me for the
work, and they want it to go to Apache, I can't give it to Apache
(that's my understanding) since Microsoft won't let go of the rights
and I can't do it for them.

For other work I do on Qpid for another customer I got the customer to
sign a rights assignment to me; then I can give it away to Apache. In
this case, though, Microsoft is acknowledging there's an issue (as
does Apache, apparantly) but nobody is budging on the rights
assignment.

-Steve

commitership,

Re: Question about IP rights

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Just one point, in case it isn't clear (from the discussion here,
there might be a misunderstanding about rights versus ownership).

Microsoft still has ownership of the code you write under a "work for
hire" contract. Primarily what a CLA does is to grant rights to Apache
to distribute and relicense the code.

Generally, Apache encourages corporations to file CCLAs primarily for
protection of the employee (contractor). If you've kept your employer
informed that the code you're writing is being licensed to Apache, and
your management specifically directs you to continue, that's good
enough. I'd say the only thing to worry about is if you're
contributing code to Apache and they think you're working on something
else.

Craig

On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Steve Huston wrote:
>> So even though Microsoft will pay me for the
>> work, and they want it to go to Apache, I can't give it to Apache
>> (that's my understanding) since Microsoft won't let go of the rights
>> and I can't do it for them.
>
> If Microsoft directs you to give it to Apache, that's sufficient.
> But, to be safe, you should get it in writing.  The CCLA is a good
> way to get it in writing, but by no means the only way.  For
> example, I altered my current employment agreement before signing it
> to explicitly permit me to contribute to certain Apache projects.
> When I was a contractor I would generally amend my contract to
> specify this.  Perhaps you can similarly amend your contract?  Or at
> least get a letter or email that documents that you've been directed
> to contribute your work to Apache.
>
> Doug

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Question about IP rights

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

RE: Question about IP rights

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Aidan,

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Steve Huston
> <sh...@riverace.com> wrote:
>
> > However, the wrinkle here is that I'm being paid by
> Microsoft to work
> > on some parts of Qpid. In this case, the code is a "work
> for hire" and
> > Microsoft owns it. Since I don't have the right to give
Microsoft's
> > stuff away, I'm stuck. So even though Microsoft will pay me for
the
> > work, and they want it to go to Apache, I can't give it to Apache
> > (that's my understanding) since Microsoft won't let go of the
rights
> > and I can't do it for them.
>
> Do they have a CCLA on file?

I don't know; I sent that question off to my contact.

-Steve

Re: Question about IP rights

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> wrote:

> However, the wrinkle here is that I'm being paid by Microsoft to work
> on some parts of Qpid. In this case, the code is a "work for hire" and
> Microsoft owns it. Since I don't have the right to give Microsoft's
> stuff away, I'm stuck. So even though Microsoft will pay me for the
> work, and they want it to go to Apache, I can't give it to Apache
> (that's my understanding) since Microsoft won't let go of the rights
> and I can't do it for them.

Do they have a CCLA on file?

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org