Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by "M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com> on 2004/12/16 01:06:56 UTC

Torque using Tomcat

I'm using Torque 3.1.1 with Tomcat 5.0.28 and MySQL.  In a Tomcat context.xml file I've defined a JNDI DataSource and in torque.prorperties the JndiDataSourceFactory factory is being used.  The webapp works fine until the webapp is realoaded.  The first database access after a reload gives this stack trace:

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: There was no DataSourceFactory configured for the connection my_om
        at org.apache.torque.TorqueInstance.getConnection(TorqueInstance.java:711)
        at org.apache.torque.Torque.getConnection(Torque.java:268)
        at org.apache.torque.util.Transaction.beginOptional(Transaction.java:80)
        at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.doSelect(BasePeer.java:1195)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com> writes:

>Hi Henning,

>Thanks again for your help.  (I got sidetracked for a few days.)

Hi,

no prob.

>>>Hi Henning.
>>
>>>Thanks for your response.
>>
>>>What do you mean by a "serialization issue"?
>>
>>Your container probably tries to save the existing session on a
>>restart (because reloading your webapp is nothing but a restart of
>>your application) and falls over its feets. When it comes up again,
>>its session information is incomplete and you get strange errors.

>What would Torque have to do with the Http session?  I don't understand the connection here.

The container serializes the state of your application. Which means,
that it might serialize the state of the MapBuilders, connection
factories and so on. As I said, I remember this dimly so I wasn't sure
that this is the same issue.

>>Try the following thing. I assume now, that you use Tomcat5:
>>
>>- open your tomcat/conf/server.xml file
>>
>>- look for the <Context> element for your application.
>>
>>- if you don't have one, you must create one. The result should look like
>>  this:
>>
>><Context path="/your-app-here" reloadable="true">
>>   <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager"
>>            distributable="false" pathname="" />
>></Context>
>>
>>Important is the 'pathname=""'
>>
>>Stop Tomcat. Nuke the contents of the work/ and the temp/
>>directory. Start again. See if the problem vanishes. If yes, you have
>>a serialization issue with Torque.

>I did what you said and the problem did not go away.  To be clear: the problem is fixed by a restart of Tomcat and only occurs when you reload the webapp after it has been loaded once.  I followed your instructions (which included a restart of Tomcat) tried to login once and it worked, the restarted the webapp and tried to login again and got the same stack trace.

Ok. So it does not seem to be this. At this point, a debugger might be
your best friend to find the root cause of this problem.

>Any further information and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,

I have no immediate ideas; opening a bug report so this won't be
forgotten might be a good thing, though.

	Regards
		Henning

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by Raphael Mankin <ra...@mankin.org.uk>.
I have exactly the same issue, that the session does not persist over a
restart, except that I am *not* using JNDI.

>From the Tomcat logs I can see that there is a serialisation issue associated
with the application restart. The sessions used to persist but some changes in
the application have caused it not longer to do so. Therefore, for me at least,
I am fairly sure that this is an application issue and not a
Torque/Struts/Tomcat issue.

                               Lead us not into temptation; we
                               can find our own way.

Raphael Mankin

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by Saravana Krishnan <sa...@uky.edu>.
Hi,

--
Saravana Krishnan <sa...@uky.edu>

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com> writes:

Hi,

>>"M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com> writes:
>>
>>I took a good look at the JndiDataSourceFactory and this patch just
>>plasters over

>What are the consequences of a patch that just "plasters over"?

That one just made sure that the config loop was not run when the
object was empty. The deeper problem is, that the loop _should_ be run
when it is empty, but should have no effect (which it had, because
after the loop, but inside the if (c == null) statement, the
datasource was blindingly initialized.

I cleaned the code to make sure that this does not happen. "Plastering
over" in my personal speaking means that you simply add "if (xxx ==
null)" or "if (foo.isEmpty())" tests to a code logic without solving
the inherent problems with the control flow. In this case, it was
possible to add a null DataSource object which is a bad thing in
itself. And it does not matter, _how_ we got there but that the
program logic allows it.

>>(there is also a good NPE chance in there)

>I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the acronym NPE, what does "NPE" mean?

NullPointerException. :-)

>>I would prefer having you test the TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH HEAD by doing
>>
>>cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic checkout -r TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH db-torque
>>
>>and compiling it,

>I did this and it fixed the problem, but...

>> but if you are stuck to a released version due to QA
>>reasons, simply take the released 3.1.1 version and replace the
>>JndiDataSourceFactory.java file.

>I really do want to use a QA'ed release for my alpha/beta/production release, so I also tried copying JndiDataSourceFactory.java into the 3.1.1 directory tree and am unable to do a build:

Yep, now that you say it: You will probably need all the contents of
the dsfactory package because the inheritance of the DataSource
factories changed.

For a released version, I do plan to put out 3.1.2 early next year
(which means probably around end of January), depending on how much
issues will crop up and what the other developers think.

[...]

>Any suggestions on what to do with the 3.1.1 tree?  I'm going to try the "plasters over" patch for now...

I didn't mean to use "plaster over" as a derogatory term. I was just
stating a fact. Sorry if you felt offended.

	Regards
		Henning

What is more important to you...
   [ ] Product Security

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com>.

>Any suggestions on what to do with the 3.1.1 tree?  I'm going to try the "plasters over" patch for now...

The "plaster patch" on the 3.1.1 release seems to solve my immediate problem, but I don't know what other problems might be lurking.

-- Sean

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by Thomas Fischer <Fi...@seitenbau.net>.

> I really do want to use a QA'ed release for my alpha/beta/production
> release, so I also tried copying JndiDataSourceFactory.java into the
> 3.1.1 directory tree and am unable to do a build:
>
> java:compile:
>     [echo] Compiling to /Users/sean/netcvs/jakarta/db-torque-3-1-1-
> patched/target/classes
>     [javac] Compiling 69 source files to
> /Users/sean/netcvs/jakarta/db-torque-3-1-1-patched/target/classes
> /Users/sean/netcvs/jakarta/db-torque-3-1-1-
> patched/src/java/org/apache/torque/dsfactory/JndiDataSourceFactory.
> java:99: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : method initialize
(org.apache.commons.configuration.Configuration)
> location: class org.apache.torque.dsfactory.AbstractDataSourceFactory
>         super.initialize(configuration);
>              ^
> Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
> Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
> 1 error
>
> Any suggestions on what to do with the 3.1.1 tree?

If you want to use JndiDataSourceFactory from the 3.1.1 tree, you also need
the AbstractDataSourceFactory class and probably the other
DataSourceFactories from the 3.1.1 tree. Maybe there are other dependencies
in there, but I do not know the code well enough to tell without trying. If
patching the 3.1.1 file with the change you found in the mail archives
works, this should be fine.

   Thomas

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com>.
>"M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com> writes:
>
>I took a good look at the JndiDataSourceFactory and this patch just
>plasters over

What are the consequences of a patch that just "plasters over"?

>(there is also a good NPE chance in there)

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the acronym NPE, what does "NPE" mean?

>I would prefer having you test the TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH HEAD by doing
>
>cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic checkout -r TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH db-torque
>
>and compiling it,

I did this and it fixed the problem, but...

> but if you are stuck to a released version due to QA
>reasons, simply take the released 3.1.1 version and replace the
>JndiDataSourceFactory.java file.

I really do want to use a QA'ed release for my alpha/beta/production release, so I also tried copying JndiDataSourceFactory.java into the 3.1.1 directory tree and am unable to do a build:

java:compile:
    [echo] Compiling to /Users/sean/netcvs/jakarta/db-torque-3-1-1-patched/target/classes
    [javac] Compiling 69 source files to /Users/sean/netcvs/jakarta/db-torque-3-1-1-patched/target/classes
/Users/sean/netcvs/jakarta/db-torque-3-1-1-patched/src/java/org/apache/torque/dsfactory/JndiDataSourceFactory.java:99: cannot resolve symbol

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com> writes:

I took a good look at the JndiDataSourceFactory and this patch just
plasters over (there is also a good NPE chance in there)

I reworked the config logic a bit, please try out, this should be
better now.

[....]

> I plan on trying out a build tomorrow.  My CVS tree has the latest
> code, but I should probably build a patched version based on the
> TORQUE_3_1_1 tag if I want to put this into "production", right?

I would prefer having you test the TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH HEAD by doing

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic checkout -r TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH db-torque

and compiling it, but if you are stuck to a released version due to QA

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by Thomas Fischer <Fi...@seitenbau.net>.

"M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com> schrieb am 29.12.2004
10:19:57:

> [...]
>

> I plan on trying out a build tomorrow.  My CVS tree has the latest
> code, but I should probably build a patched version based on the
> TORQUE_3_1_1 tag if I want to put this into "production", right?

If you are content with 3.1.1 so far, this is exactly how you should
proceed. There have been sone largish changes in the 3.1 branch since the
3.1.1 release, and though I believe personally that the current state of
the TORQUE_3_1_BRANCH in CVS is ok except for one small template, these
changes have not yet been widely tested and therefore it should be safer
for you to patch the release.
No need to use CVS though, there is also a source package for 3.1.1
available ;-)
Please tell us if the patch worked for you, so it can be changed in CVS
too.

   Thanks,

     Thomas

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com>.
>"Wieger Uffink [Us Media]" <wi...@usmedia.nl> writes:
>
>>Ive recompiled torque source with a small patch in the
>>JndiDataSourceFactory and this solves the problem.
>
>Cool. Where is this patch? :-)

I'm not sure if he used the exact same patch as in this message:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=torque-user@db.apache.org&msgId=1440765

but, I put the patch into my local CVS tree and cleaned up the code formatting/tabs to get this diff:

$ cvs diff JndiDataSourceFactory.java
Index: JndiDataSourceFactory.java
RCS file: /home/cvspublic/jakarta-turbine-torque/src/java/org/apache/torque/dsfactory/JndiDataSourceFactory.java,v
retrieving revision 1.7
diff -u -r1.7 JndiDataSourceFactory.java
--- JndiDataSourceFactory.java  22 Feb 2004 06:18:52 -0000      1.7
+++ JndiDataSourceFactory.java  29 Dec 2004 09:10:29 -0000
@@ -158,7 +158,7 @@
         Configuration c = configuration.subset("datasource");
         try
         {
-            if (c != null)
+            if (c != null && !c.isEmpty())
             {
                 Object ds = null;
                 Iterator i = c.getKeys();

I plan on trying out a build tomorrow.  My CVS tree has the latest code, but I should probably build a patched version based on the TORQUE_3_1_1 tag if I want to put this into "production", right?

Cheers,

Sean

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by Thomas Fischer <Fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Hi,

Do you think your change in JndiDataSourceFactory is general enough to be
included in future releases of Torque ?
If yes, can you please open a ticket in Scarab

http://nagoya.apache.org/scarab/issues

open a bug report and attach your patch ?

  Thanks a lot,

     Thomas

"Wieger Uffink [Us Media]" <wi...@usmedia.nl> schrieb am 23.12.2004
10:40:34:

> [...]
> the problem is fixed by a restart of Tomcat and only occurs when you
> reload the webapp after it has been loaded once.  I followed your
> instructions (which included a restart of Tomcat) tried to login
> once and it worked, the restarted the webapp and tried to login
> again and got the same stack trace.
> >
> > One variation from your procedure is that I'm not editing server.
> xml but specifying a Context.xml in the Tomcat <deployment> ANT task.
> >
> > The version I just tested is like this:
> >
> > <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> > <Context docBase="/path/to/webapp" path="/my" reloadable="true">
> >   <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager"
> >            distributable="false" pathname="" />
> >   <Resource auth="Container" name="jdbc/mysqldb" type="javax.sql.
> DataSource"/>
> >   <Resource auth="Container" name="jdbc/pgdb"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "Wieger Uffink [Us Media]" <wi...@usmedia.nl>.
Hi,

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Us Media B.V.

t: +31 (0)20 428 68 68
f: +31 (0)20 470 69 05
www.usmedia.nl

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com>.
Hi Henning,

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by Mujahid Malaysia <ha...@fastmail.fm>.
Hi all,

I got the same problem too. I deployed my app in JBoss with Tomcat.
Torque is being used in my Session Bean. Each time I redeploy the app,
Torque will fail. Then, instead of just redeploying the app, I have to
restart JBoss all over again.

Haven't got any clue either. I've been searching for the solution but I
can't find any. Could anybody in the list give me some idea?

Thanks.

Re: Torque using Tomcat

Posted by "M. Sean Gilligan" <Se...@catalla.com>.

Re: Torque using Tomcat