Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by "Hayles, Steven" <sh...@leicester.ac.uk> on 2015/07/03 11:37:16 UTC

Gone content not reported to Solr

I'm using bin/crawl on Nutch 1.9 (with Solr 4.10.3)

What I see is that "bin/nutch update" sets db_gone status correctly, but "bin/nutch dedup" removes the records entirely before "bin/nutch index" can tell Sol to remove them from its index.

Is dedup doing more than it should, is the ordering of dedup and index wrong, or is there some configuration that I have wrong?

Thanks

Steven Hayles
Systems Analyst

IT Services, University of Leicester,
Propsect House, 94 Regent Rd, Leicester, LE1 7DA, UK

T: +44 (0)116 229 7950
E: sh23@le.ac.uk<ma...@le.ac.uk>

The Queen's Anniversary Prizes 1994, 2002 & 2013
THE Awards Winners 2007-2013

Elite without being elitist

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/uniofleicester or
visit our Facebook page https://facebook.com/UniofLeicester

Re: Gone content not reported to Solr

Posted by Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com>.
> If db.update.purge.404 is not set, would records with status DB_GONE stay forever, and Solr be
> repeatedly told to remove them?

Yes. But since for a deletion only the URL is sent as document ID
the impact is small unless there are many gone documents.

There is no way to avoid this because Nutch does not store the
status in the index. Maybe it would be better to purge the crawlDb
only from time to time via

 bin/nutch updatedb -Ddb.update.purge.404=true ...

Keeping gone documents also avoids that dead links are tried
to fetch every time they are seen again.

But, no question, there should be at least a statement in the documentation
about the problem regarding db.update.purge.404

Thanks for clarification!

Posted by Steven Hayles <sh...@leicester.ac.uk>.
Hi Sebastian

Thanks for the explanation.