Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by erman pattuk <ex...@utdallas.edu> on 2013/07/01 20:28:16 UTC

BigSecret: A secure data management framework for Key-Value Stores

My name is Erman Pattuk. Together with my advisor Prof. Murat Kantarcioglu, we have developed an open source tool that enables secure and encrypted outsourcing of Key-Value stores to public cloud infrastructures. I would like to get feedback from interested users, so that I can improve and strengthen the project.

When you need to outsource your data to a public cloud, there are potential privacy and security risks. Especially, if your data consists of highly private information, such as social security numbers or health records, it should be encrypted prior to outsourcing. However doing so complicates data processing. Thus, intelligent solutions need to be created that (i) protects the privacy outsourced data, and (ii) enables efficient processing of the outsourced data.

Our framework, BigSecret, behaves as a middleware between the clients (entities that want to process queries), and Key-Value stores (may be public or private). It is scalable, in the sense that multiple independent copies of the application can be executed; and it provides formally proven security.

Initially, we have implemented BigSecret to support HBase. We have created a simple library that supports basic operations, such as Put, Get, Delete, Scan, createTable over encrypted key-value pairs. It's still in its infancy, but we aim to improve it over time, and add support for multiple Key-Value Store implementations.

You can access:
- Source code:https://github.com/ermanpattuk/BigSecret
- Technical report:http://www.utdallas.edu/~exp111430/techReport.pdf

Our paper has been accepted in the prestigious IEEE Cloud 2013 conference. You can get a copy of technical report via the above link.

Best Regards,

Erman Pattuk