Posted to dev@wink.apache.org by "Snitkovsky, Martin" <ma...@hp.com> on 2009/08/05 10:01:39 UTC

[VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Folks,

I'm calling a vote to release Wink 0.1

The Maven staging area is at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/wink-staging-014/

The distributions are in:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/wink-staging-014/org/apache/wink/apache-wink/0.1-incubating/

This release is tagged at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/wink/tags/wink-0.1-incubating/

The vote will be open here for at least 72 hours.

Please consider this call to vote as my +1

Regards,
Martin.

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:09 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Martin,
>
> Please post this email to general@incubator as a heads up and so we
> can get additional feedback on the artifacts. Typically there are a
> lot more people who scrutinize the artifacts in detail over on that
> mailing list.

Not a big deal, but usually, podling votes on the release, first. Then
the Incubator PMC votes on the release (i.e. the podling and ipmc
votes aren't concurrent). Personally, I think this is better -- the
podling takes more responsibility for vetting the release, rather than
being overly reliant on the ipmc...

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Please post this email to general@incubator as a heads up and so we can get additional feedback on the artifacts.
Typically there are a lot more people who scrutinize the artifacts in detail over on that mailing list.

thanks,
dims

RE: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by "Baram, Eliezer" <eb...@hp.com>.
+1

RE: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by "Snitkovsky, Martin" <ma...@hp.com>.
Kevan,
Thank a lot for your insight. Will apply your recommendations in an upcoming RC.

Regards
--martin

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
This is a very common problem with maven projects on windows.  IMO the
solution is not to change the artifact names, but to instruct users to
work under c:\<somedir> instead of whatever default windows wants to
choose.  The space in the path may also mess up some builds and its
highly advised *not* to build from there.

--jason

On Aug 9, 2009, at 8:37 PM, Bryant Luk wrote:

> The problem with the names being long is that Windows users may
> encounter issues when unzipping the source zips.  I think the path
> limit is around 255 characters.  There's around 50 characters in the
> c:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\ already.
>
> I've updated the pom.xml name elements so that during the Maven build
> it looks better.  I think the artifactIds were properly updated but
> please let me know if you see differently.
>
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Jason Dillon<ja...@planet57.com>
> wrote:
>> Why did the name need shortening?  We should try to keep atrifactId's
>> consistent with the directory name they are defined in.  Its a best
>> practice.
>>
>> --jason
>>

>> On Aug 8, 2009, at 3:15 AM, Nicholas Gallardo wrote:
>>

>>> Kevan, a few responses to some of the issues.

>>> Bryant fixed this before it was moved to "wink-itest" to shorten
>>> the name.

>>> Michael Elman ran the TCK on the tag.  Everything was good.
>>>
>>> There are JIRAs opened for the other issues you mentioned.
>>>
>>> -N

>>> for the JAXB jars is missing. I can only guess that there are

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Bryant Luk <br...@gmail.com>.

--

- Bryant Luk

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by "Snitkovsky, Martin" <ma...@hp.com>.
All artifact ids were also renamed ...  integration-test became itest   ... or I miss something

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by "Snitkovsky, Martin" <ma...@hp.com>.
Yes, we will re-spin a 0.1 tag, once all issues are resolved.

Posted by Nicholas Gallardo <ni...@yahoo.com>.

--

- Bryant Luk

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Bryant Luk <br...@gmail.com>.

--

- Bryant Luk

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Nicholas Gallardo <ni...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Nicholas Gallardo <ni...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the feedback Kevan.  I'll open JIRAs for some of things below.

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 7, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

<snip>

> The binary distribution contains two source jars:
>
> lib/jaxb-api-2.1-sources.jar
> lib/jaxb-impl-2.1.4-sources.jar
>
> You cannot distribute these sources.

I should have explained a bit more. These sources are CDDL licensed.
CDDL is classified by the ASF as a "Reciprocal License" that may only
be distributed by an Apache project in binary form, not source. So,
IMO, we should not include these sources.

For more licensing information, see http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Bryant Luk <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

Catching up on e-mail, but I took a look at the source and the binary
distributions this morning.  Looks great.  Thanks Martin for doing the
release work.

The only problem I ran into was unzipping the source distribution onto
my desktop ran into a Windows error due to the long path of some of
the directories/names.  Really a Windows issue.  Unzipping it in
c:\winktemp or something worked out.

--

- Bryant Luk

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by Nicholas Gallardo <ni...@yahoo.com>.
Dan, thanks for the insights.  That makes sense to me.

I was concerned we were missing a step in the Apache release process and didn't want that to hold up the release when it got to the incubator list.  Sounds like we're good to go though.

+1 and I'll shut up now.  :)

-Nick

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

RE: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by "Snitkovsky, Martin" <ma...@hp.com>.
Seems like based on Apache, RC is not publicly available (our RC is what we currently have in Maven staging)

>From "Apache Release Management Guide"

*Release Candidates*

A release candidate is a artifact upon which a vote is held for a release. The actual nature of the release candidate depends on the release system adopted by a the project.

Those projects adopting a system of blessing a candidate will start by creating a candidate which will then be promoted by a series of votes until it either fails or reaches full release status. In this case, the same candidate may be known as a release candidate, an alpha, a beta and then a full release.

Those projects which releases candidates will vote on a sample release candidate.

Only full releases should be place distributed from the main directories. There are a number of reasons for this:

It is traditional that release managers use their Apache home space to make available release candidates

--martin

RE: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1

Posted by "Snitkovsky, Martin" <ma...@hp.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Wink 0.1