Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bai Shen <ba...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/30 15:16:55 UTC

Solr memory usage

I have solr running on a single machine with 8GB of ram.  Right now I have
about 1.5 million documents indexed, which had produced a 30GB index.  When
I look in top, the tomcat process which is hosting solr says that it's
using 38GB of VIRT, 6.6G RES, and 2GB SHR.

The machine is showing a completely full swap file and very little memory
free.  Is this because solr is trying to load the entire index into
memory?  The searches are still responsive, so it doesn't seem to be
affecting performance.

Thanks.

Re: Solr memory usage

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Bai,

Solr doesn't try to load the whole index into memory, no.
You can control how much memory Tomcat uses with -Xmx Java command line parameter.

Otis

----
Performance Monitoring SaaS for Solr - http://sematext.com/spm/solr-performance-monitoring/index.html