Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Chandrashekhar Kotekar <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/03 15:17:46 UTC

Error in first build : Cannot run program "protoc": CreateProcess error=2

Hi,

Just now I have downloaded Hadoop source code. I have successfully run "mvn
clean" target but while trying "mvn install" target I am getting following
error :

*[INFO] Executed tasks
[INFO]
[INFO] --- hadoop-maven-plugins:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT:protoc (compile-protoc) @
hadoop-common ---
[WARNING] [protoc,
--java_out=D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\target\generated-sources\java,
-ID:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\src\main\proto,
D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\src\main\proto\HAServiceProtocol.proto,
D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\src\main\proto\IpcConnectionContext.proto,
D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\src\main\proto\ProtobufRpcEngine.proto,
D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\src\main\proto\ProtocolInfo.proto,
D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\src\main\proto\RpcHeader.proto,
D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\src\main\proto\Security.proto,
D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common\src\main\proto\ZKFCProtocol.proto]
 failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "protoc": CreateProcess
error=2, The system cannot find the file specified
[ERROR] protoc compiler error
[INFO]
[INFO] Reactor Summary:*

I have copied exe file of Protoc and added path to that exe file in PATH
variable. When I run "echo %PATH%" I get output something like below:

*C:\Users\shekhar>echo %PATH%*
*C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_11\bin;D:\softwares\apache-maven-3.0.5\bin;D:\softwares\protoc-2.5.0-win32;D:\softwares\apache-ant-1.9.0\bin;
*

So I think I have successfully put protoc in my path.

I would like to know why this error is coming. Request someone to please
help.

Thanks and Regards,
Chandrash3khar K0tekar
Mobile - 8884631122

Re: Error in first build : Cannot run program "protoc": CreateProcess error=2

Posted by Amir Sanjar <v1...@us.ibm.com>.
we have fixed this issue, a patch for review will be upstream tomorrow to
HADOOP-9346

Best Regards
Amir Sanjar

System Management Architect
PowerLinux Open Source Hadoop development lead
IBM Senior Software Engineer
Phone# 512-286-8393
Fax#      512-838-8858

From:	Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>
To:	common-dev@hadoop.apache.org,
Date:	04/03/2013 03:07 PM
Subject:	Re: Error in first build : Cannot run program "protoc":
            CreateProcess error=2

On 3 April 2013 15:46, Chandrashekhar Kotekar
<sh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> You were right. Problem was with Protoc version 1.5 only. I downloaded
and
> added protoc 1.4 version and now that error is gone. However now I am
stuck
> at this new error. Now maven is not able to find "msbuild". Error is as
> follows :
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.2:exec
> (compile-ms-winutils) on project hadoop-common: Command execution failed.
> Cannot run program "msbuild" (in directory
> "D:\HadoopSource\hadoop-trunk\hadoop-common-project\hadoop-common"):
> CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified -> [Help
> 1]

error 2 in DOS is "exe not found"

> Can you please help with this error? I googled for this kind of error but
> couldn't find anything related to this error.

msbuild comes with the win7 SDK
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279

Re: hadoop 2.0.3 alpha - TestContainersMonitor fails

Posted by Amir Sanjar <v1...@us.ibm.com>.
thanks Sandy.. you saved me few days of debugging :)

Best Regards
Amir Sanjar

System Management Architect
PowerLinux Open Source Hadoop development lead
IBM Senior Software Engineer
Phone# 512-286-8393
Fax#      512-838-8858

From:	Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>
To:	common-dev@hadoop.apache.org,
Date:	04/03/2013 06:39 PM
Subject:	Re: hadoop 2.0.3 alpha - TestContainersMonitor fails

Yeah, this was fixed by YARN-377

-Sandy

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Amir Sanjar <v1...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Has anyone seen below failure?
>
> Unit test case Name : TestContainersMonitor
> Hadoop Vesrion : Hadoop-2.0.3.
> Java Version : java version "1.6.0"  sr12 & ORACLE JAVA
> platform : RHEL 6.x, x86_64
>
> TestContainersMonitor unit test fails with the following error message:

> testContainerKillOnMemoryOverflow

(org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.nodemanager.containermanager.monitor.TestContainersMonitor)

>   Time elapsed: 3527 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Expected message pattern is:
> Container \[pid=25069,containerID=container_0_0000_01_000000\] is running
> beyond virtual memory limits. Current usage: [0-9.]+m?b of [0-9.]+m?b
> physical memory used; [0-9.]+m?b of [0-9.]+m?b virtual memory used.
Killing

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
So this is the JIRA for tracking the protoc 2.5 issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9346.

Regarding the msbuild trouble, your issue is simply that you perhaps
do not have Visual Studio 2010 Professional/Windows SDK installed?
Apache Hadoop trunk has Windows specific build profiles in it since it
now supports the Windows platform but it has its own requirements of
build. Check out the section "Building on Windows" under your
checkout/clone's BUILDING.txt or
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/BUILDING.txt.

I'm not currently sure how to turn the auto-detection off to make it
compile as it would on Linux minus natives (like how it used to,
before the feature drop), but perhaps there should be a way to allow
that.

--
Harsh J

Re: Error in first build : Cannot run program "protoc": CreateProcess error=2

Posted by Chandrashekhar Kotekar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--