Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2013/10/27 18:34:37 UTC

[compress] Build Problems with JDK8

Hi,

I'm currently using JDK 1.8 build 113 on some projects as we had reports
of incompatibilities on the Gump list.  It may be worth doing that for
other components as well.

Anyway, two tests fail, both for the same reason:

org.tukaani.xz.XZIOException: Stream finished or closed
    at org.tukaani.xz.LZMA2OutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.FilterOutputStream.flush(FilterOutputStream.java:140)
    at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(FilterOutputStream.java:158)
    at org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.sevenz.LZMA2Decoder$FinishOnCloseStream.close(LZMA2Decoder.java:67)
    at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(FilterOutputStream.java:159)
    at org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.sevenz.SevenZOutputFile.closeArchiveEntry(SevenZOutputFile.java:125)

which likely means writing 7z archives using LZMA2 compression is broken
under certain circumstances.

This can be easily fixed by completely removing FinishOnCloseStream as
XZ for Java's LZMA2OutpuStream's close calls finish internally when
needed anyway.

What I currently don't understand is why this suddenly starts to fail as
the sequence of finish/flush/close should have been the same woth Java7
already - at least my javadocs of Java7 already say FilterInputStream's
close would call flush.

The other problem comes with the site build as javadoc creation fails.
This is something we've already seen with log4j and Ant.  JDK 1.8's
javadoc has turned a bunch of warnings into errors and dislikes closing
HTML tags and so on.  Trying to fix the javadocs might become a bit
daunting as there are lots of warnings and errors and I'm unclear of
what will stay that way for JDK 1.8 when it goes final.

Stefan