Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Syntax <ar...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/20 22:50:14 UTC

[users@httpd] difference between UNIX and WIN source package

 <ma...@httpd.apache.org> On the download page , we can see below:

*	Unix Source: httpd-2.2.3.tar.gz
<http://apache.stu.edu.tw/httpd/httpd-2.2.3.tar.gz>  [PGP
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.3.tar.gz.asc> ] [MD5
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.3.tar.gz.md5> ]
*	Unix Source: httpd-2.2.3.tar.bz2
<http://apache.stu.edu.tw/httpd/httpd-2.2.3.tar.bz2>  [PGP
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.3.tar.bz2.asc> ] [MD5
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.3.tar.bz2.md5> ]
*	Win32 Source: httpd-2.2.3-win32-src.zip
<http://apache.stu.edu.tw/httpd/httpd-2.2.3-win32-src.zip>  [PGP
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.3-win32-src.zip.asc> ] [MD5
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.3-win32-src.zip.md5> ]
*	Win32 Binary (MSI Installer): apache_2.2.3-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
<http://apache.stu.edu.tw/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.2.3-win32-x86-no_ssl
.msi>  [PGP
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.2.3-win32-x86-no_s
sl.msi.asc> ] [MD5
<http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/apache_2.2.3-win32-x86-no_s
sl.msi.md5> ]

My question is :

Is there any one know about what is the difference between UNIX source and
WIN source in detail ?

(Of course, we all know UNIX source is for unix-like platform and WIN is for
WIndows.)
I want to know why it has to be distributed into those two platform package,
what's different, detail, in program code or something ...

Any one can answer ? or any where the documents about it is ?

Thanks for your help.

Re: [users@httpd] difference between UNIX and WIN source package

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Sean Conner wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great Syntax once stated:
>>
>> My question is :
>>
>> Is there any one know about what is the difference between UNIX source and
>> WIN source in detail ?
>
>   One major difference will be the character(s) used to mark the end of each
> line of text in the source code.  Unix and Windows use different characters
> to designate this (and there are reasons, mostly historical, on why this is
> the way it is).

Yup - srclib/apr/build/lineends.pl will help turn a win package into a unix
package or visa-versa (just run it on the target platform or use --lf or -crlf.)

>   Another difference may be the makefiles (files that describe the
> order of compilation) or how the makefiles are generated on the two
> platforms.

Actually we -add- the generated component.mak files generated from the
component.dsp files.  But they are created from the .dsp's that are in
both packages.

>   -spc (other than that, I suspect the sources are similar)

Correction... otherwise identical :)

Re: [users@httpd] SSL config question

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/20/06, Nathan Kellogg <ap...@nwlocation.com> wrote:
> I need some help getting SSL to work in conjunction with auth.  Using the
> following vhost entry, SSLng works fine if we set the following config up
> with <VirtualHost 10.1.2.98:443>.  However, we only want ssl used when
> accessing the /kna directory so we left off the ssl port on the VirtualHost
> directive and included SSLReguire within that directory.   It does not
> work, Apace errors with " SSl connection required".

You need to setup two vhosts: one with SSL, the other without.  Then
redirect to the SSL vhost for requests to the non-SSL vhost in the
/kna directory.  See the second example here:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Recipes/RedirectSSL

Joshua.

[users@httpd] SSL config question

Posted by Nathan Kellogg <ap...@nwlocation.com>.
I need some help getting SSL to work in conjunction with auth.  Using the
following vhost entry, SSLng works fine if we set the following config up
with <VirtualHost 10.1.2.98:443>.  However, we only want ssl used when
accessing the /kna directory so we left off the ssl port on the VirtualHost
directive and included SSLReguire within that directory.   It does not
work, Apace errors with " SSl connection required".

Any help is appreciated!

<VirtualHost 10.1.2.98>

     ServerAdmin nathan@nwlocation.com
     DocumentRoot c:/nwls/htdocs
     ServerName nwlocation.com
     ServerAlias www.nwlocation.com
     ErrorLog c:/nwls/logs/error_log
     CustomLog c:/nwls/logs/access_log common

  SSLEngine on
  SSLCertificateFile    c:/www/ssl/server.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile c:/www/ssl/server.pem
  SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown

<Directory "c:/nwls/htdocs/">
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory c:/nwls/htdocs/kna/>

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Authorization Required"
AuthUserFile c:/nwls/passwords
Require user test
SSLRequireSSL

</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Re: [users@httpd] difference between UNIX and WIN source package

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.

Posted by Arthur Kreitman <ar...@congruent.com>.
I suspect the difference is the unix distribution includes support for
such important systems as sgi and beos