Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anishek Agarwal <an...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/18 11:23:21 UTC

Strategy tools for taking snapshots to load in another cluster instance

Hello

We have 5 node prod cluster and 3 node test cluster. Is there a way i can
take snapshot of a table in prod and load it test cluster. The cassandra
versions are same.

Even if there is a tool that can help with this it will be great.

If not, how do people handle scenarios where data in prod is required in
staging/test clusters for testing to make sure things are correct ? Does
the cluster size have to be same to allow copying of relevant snapshot data
etc?

thanks
anishek

Re: Strategy tools for taking snapshots to load in another cluster instance

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:23 AM, Anishek Agarwal <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have 5 node prod cluster and 3 node test cluster. Is there a way i can
> take snapshot of a table in prod and load it test cluster. The cassandra
> versions are same.

http://www.pythian.com/blog/bulk-loading-options-for-cassandra/

=Rob

Re: Strategy tools for taking snapshots to load in another cluster instance

Posted by Dominik Keil <do...@movilizer.com>.
Hi Anishek,

we are currently also thinking about how to do this in the midterm,
though we don't have a test setup yet. My idea was do add one additional
node to the source cluster but put it in a different DC as far as
Cassandra is concerned. Using the network topology replication strategy
you'd assign this DC an RF of 1 for each KS. Obviously you probably want
to read and write in LOCAL_QUORUM them to not hamper performance and you
need more disk space on that machine. But then, I think, you can just
take a snapshot there and use sstableloader to load that into your
destination cluster. Since I haven't tried this yet, I cannot tell you
hoe feasible this is but it would be nice to get some input here if the
idea is at least sound :-)

Cheers

--
*Dominik Keil*
Movilizer GmbH

movilizer.com <http://movilizer.com>
*Reinvent Your Mobile Enterprise*

Movilizer Days 2015 - Save the date!
<http://movilizer.com/save-the-date-2015>

Be the first to know:
Twitter <https://twitter.com/Movilizer> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/movilizer-gmbh> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/Movilizer>
_
Company's registered office: Mannheim
HRB: 700323 / Country Court: Mannheim
Managing Directors: Alberto Zamora, Jörg Bernauer, Oliver Lesche
Please inform us immediately if this e-mail and/or any attachment was
transmitted incompletely or was not intelligible.
_
This e-mail and any attachment is for authorized use by the intended
information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be
copied, disclosed to, retained or used by any other party. If you are
not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and
any attachment and all copies and inform the sender.

Re: Strategy tools for taking snapshots to load in another cluster instance

Posted by Romain Hardouin <ro...@yahoo.fr>.
My previous answer (sstableloader) allows you moving from larger to smaller cluster

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 11:30, Anishek Agarwal<an...@gmail.com> wrote:   Peer,
that talks about having a similar sized cluster, I was wondering if there is a way for moving from larger to smaller cluster. I will try a few things as soon as i get time and update here.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Peer, Oded <Od...@rsa.com> wrote:

Have you read the DataStax documentation?

http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/operations/ops_snapshot_restore_new_cluster.html

Posted by Anishek Agarwal <an...@gmail.com>.
Peer,

Posted by "Peer, Oded" <Od...@rsa.com>.