Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/01/13 16:52:55 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Hi everyone,

The UIMA community has voted on and approved the release of Apache UIMA
2.3.0, consisting of
  - base UIMA
  - the UIMA-AS add-on to the base (incorporating ActiveMQ and adding
Asynchronous Scaleout capability
  - UIMACPP - the C++ support
  - UIMA-Addons - a subset of components from the UIMA Sandbox

The vote was +1 from all committers and 1 mentor; no other votes were
cast. We now request the approval of the Incubator PMC for this release.

Podling vote thread:  http://markmail.org/thread/osrpk5skilchagi6
Release artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/2.3.0-RC9/
(includes RAT reports)

SVN root nodes:
  base UIMA:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.3.0/uimaj-2.3.0-09
  UIMA-AS:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uima-as/tags/uima-as-2.3.0/uima-as-2.3.0-09
  UIMA-Addons:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/sandbox/tags/sandbox-2.3.0/sandbox-2.3.0-09
  UIMACPP:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimacpp/tags/uimacpp-2.3.0-09

UIMA-AS continues to be registered as a 5D002 export artifact (due to
including ActiveMQ) - and no other components are currently required to
be so designated; see http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/

The source distributions are built with scripts, and differ somewhat
from the SVN source trees.  The various distributions are built using
the Maven assembly plugin; the scripts for build the source distribution
are found here:

  base UIMA:                      uimaj-distr/src/main/assembly/src.xml
  UIMA-AS:                      uima-as-distr/src/main/assembly/src.xml
  UIMA-Addons: SandboxDistr/annotator-package/src/main/assembly/src.xml

The UIMACPP source package is built in a different manner for Windows
and *nix packaging; some of the make configuration is pre-done for each
of these packagings and included in the source distribution.  The
scripts for building the source are in
  buildSrcTree.cmd (Windows) and
  buildSrcTree.sh  (*nix)

In addition to the source bundles, this release includes (as before)
binary downloads for direct use by users; these include html/pdf
versions of documentation and javadocs.

The builds (except for UIMACPP) have been changed to use the Maven RAT
(Release Audit Tool) plugin.  The POMs for the 3 distribution projects
(uimaj-distr, uima-as-distr, and SandboxDistr/annotationPackage)
document the list of exceptions for the RAT tool (mostly things like
generated files or test data).

KEYS:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-distr/src/main/readme/KEYS

The release is signed by Marshall Schor except for UIMACPP which is
signed by Edward Epstein.
The signing key of Marshall Schor has been updated to the higher
strength following http://www.apache.org/dev/key-transition.html.

Please cast your vote!

Thanks. -Marshall

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
The vote passes:

This vote has been open for 13 days.  There are 3 +1's from IPMC
members, and no other votes.

+1 Jukka Zitting
+1 Ant Elder
+1 Jean T. Anderson

Thanks to everyone who took the time to review and vote on this.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> since I reviewed the earliest uima releases I went ahead and reviewed
> this one.
>
> I did not take the time to unpack files and examine them because I was
> convinced by early release rounds that the UIMA project knows how to
> do this reliably.
>
> I did focus on the rat reports that were included and on the email
> thread. --I encountered only one minor confusion: uimacpp did not
> include a rat report, but Marshall's post to the podling vote thread
> mentioned that uimacpp is identical to the previous release. [1]
> Nothing needs to be done here, Marshall, I'm just noting this in case
> any other mentors start reviewing this.

Sorry for the confusion - the Rat report for uimacpp was run manually,
and the reports are included as files in the release candidate on
http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/2.3.0-RC9/uimacpp/

the files are:

uimacpp-bin-linux-report.txt
uimacpp-bin-windows-report.txt
uimacpp-bin64-linux-report.txt
uimacpp-src-linux-report.txt
uimacpp-src-windows-report.txt

> based on my review I give this release a +1.

Thanks, Jean!  -Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> Gav... wrote:
>> Having licenses in place for all source files (not generated) and/or
>> exclusions I should think would be a requirement for release approval, I'd
>> prefer others to clarify that though.
>
> I think it's a good practice to have exclusions, but in my opinion, it's
> just one of several methods that can document the exceptions.

Agreed. The important thing is that the policy is being followed, not
the specifics of how that compliance is being verified or documented.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Gav... wrote:

> [...]

just one of several methods that can document the exceptions.  In our
past releases, for instance, we have used comments added directly to the
Rat report for this (perhaps this was before RAT had (or we knew about)
exclusion capability.

Unless someone objects, I plan to close this vote in another 24 hours or
so...  It's been open for 12 days now, and we have 3 binding ipmc +1
votes, so far (Thank You ! ! to all who took the time to review and vote).

-Marshall

RE: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Eddie Epstein wrote:
> Hi, sure.
> The unapproved licenses for each package are:
>
> Linux source - 17 unknown:
>   7 - regression and sample test data
>   6 - auto generated files (gnumake and JNI header)
>   1 - NOTICE file for binary package (with suffix)
>   1 - README file for binary package (with suffix)
>   1 - doxygen html template
>   1 - gdb init file for testing
>
> Windows source - 46 unknown:
>   35 - Microsoft devenv build control files (vcproj and sln)
>   7 - regression and sample test data
>   1 - NOTICE file for binary package (with suffix)
>   1 - README file for binary package (with suffix)
>   1 - doxygen html template
>   1 - JNI auto gen header
>
> Linux 32-bit and 64-bit binary - 377 unknown for each
>   259 - doxygen output files
>   108 - ICU redistributable headers
>   7 - xercesc redistributable headers
>   1 - APR redistributable header
>   1 - sample test data
>   1 - gdb init file
>
> Windows binary - 462 unknown
>   333 - doxygen output files
>   104 - ICU redistributable headers
>   13 - Microsoft devenv build files (vcporj and sln)
>   10 - xercesc redistributable headers
>   1 - APR redistributable header
>   1 - sample test data
>
> Thanks for digging into the UIMA release!
> Eddie

Thanks for chasing those all down, Eddie.

I don't spot any problems, so my +1 stands.

 -jean

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi, sure.

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean,

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to do the review.  -Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 21:08, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is quite huge. I haven't looked at every artifact but the ones i
>> did all the licensing etc looked ok and it looks like they understand
>> what they're doing. The copyright in some NOTICE files is  "Copyright
>> 2006, 2007" which could probably do with being updated, though others
>> are 2009 and from the discussion on legal-discuss a while back i'm not
>> sure thats a blocking issue so +1 from me.
>
> AFAIR, copyright notices in file headers only need to be brought
> up-to-date (literally) when a file is actually changed.

That is also what I recall, although it can be convenient to update in bulk...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 21:08, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is quite huge. I haven't looked at every artifact but the ones i
> did all the licensing etc looked ok and it looks like they understand
> what they're doing. The copyright in some NOTICE files is  "Copyright
> 2006, 2007" which could probably do with being updated, though others
> are 2009 and from the discussion on legal-discuss a while back i'm not
> sure thats a blocking issue so +1 from me.

AFAIR, copyright notices in file headers only need to be brought
up-to-date (literally) when a file is actually changed.

  Bernd

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0-rc9