Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/04/27 02:29:47 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Pulsar - proposal for Apache Incubation

Joe,

Its customary to bring in the entire body of the proposal in the discussion
thread.

Its good to see that someone stepped up to be Champion.  You still need
mentors.  Was Bryan planning to also mentor the project?  While he is a
foundation member, he is not on the IPMC.

Its great to see another messaging solution come to the ASF.  Does your
platform support any formats like AMQP, STOMP?  Are there chances to share
client libraries with ActiveMQ, Kafka or RocketMQ?

John

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
I wan’t planning on being a mentor, but I might be able to be convinced otherwise.

-Bryan

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:49 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Or not. Using other projects is not necessarily relevant to whether or not
> the proposed podling has a community.
>
> I have to be careful about committing to Mentoring. I have some interest
> in such a project. I'd want gave a technical conversation.

Hi Dave,

I and other members of the team would be happy to have such technical
conversation, through any preferred channel.

Thanks,
Matteo

Re: [PROPOSAL] Pulsar - proposal for Apache Incubation

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi,

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 26, 2017, at 7:29 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Joe,
>
> Its customary to bring in the entire body of the proposal in the discussion
> thread.
>
> Its good to see that someone stepped up to be Champion.  You still need
> mentors.  Was Bryan planning to also mentor the project?  While he is a
> foundation member, he is not on the IPMC.
>
> Its great to see another messaging solution come to the ASF.  Does your
> platform support any formats like AMQP, STOMP?  Are there chances to share
> client libraries with ActiveMQ, Kafka or RocketMQ?

Or not. Using other projects is not necessarily relevant to whether or not the proposed podling has a community.

I have to be careful about committing to Mentoring. I have some interest in such a project. I'd want gave a technical conversation.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:30 PM John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Its great to see another messaging solution come to the ASF.  Does your
> platform support any formats like AMQP, STOMP?

There are currently many messaging APIs and wire protocol specifications,
but for Pulsar we have opted for a custom wire protocol and a client API.
The primary reasons for that are in the feature-set supported by each of
these APIs (each of them was lacking some feature we required) and how
using a particular API/protocol was enabling the implementation of a highly
scalable client/broker.

Building on top on the the native client API, we have implemented a
WebSocket based API and we plan to add support for MQTT as well. We would
be very happy to add support for additional protocol and APIs in the same
way.

> Are there chances to share
> client libraries with ActiveMQ, Kafka or RocketMQ?

Even though all these projects are in the "pub-sub" space, the data models
and semantics do have significant differences that make the task
complicated. I think that targeting a common client API is a much more
achievable goal and we would be very happy to contribute on that front.

Matteo