Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@forrie.com> on 2006/03/20 18:11:55 UTC

Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Since updating to SpamAssassin 3.1.1, I've noticed that headers are
creeping into the basic message display of Thunderbird (nightly build):

    version=3.1.1

    Message content ... etc.

I wonder if something has changed with regard to how the headers are formatted.

It's always the same, starting at "version".   I realize this could be a Thunderbird issue; however, it seemed prudent to ask here, in case there is something I overlooked that could be tweaked.

Thanks.

Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:11:55PM -0500, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I wonder if something has changed with regard to how the headers are
> formatted.

Yes, if a message comes in with CRLF, the headers added will use CRLF.  This
broke at least spamass-milter, which is the only other group I've heard of
having this problem so far.

Otherwise 3.1.1 is the same as 3.1.0 wrt header modifications as far as I know.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
 Bender: Grab a shovel. I'm only one skull short of a Mousketeer reunion.

Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Carl Brewer wrote:
> It's a known problem.  Dan Nelson (spamass-milter maintainer) says it's
> not spamass-milter :

> But, it's broken -somewhere-, and the change was made in spamassassin.
> Any chance of reverting the change in spamassassin so spamass-milter
> works again?

Can you provide me with three copies of an affected message in a tarball:

- the original, unscanned message
- the original message after it has gone through spamass-milter
- the original message after it has gone through spamc, not spamass-milter

Be sure to use appropriate redirection and not copy-and-paste.

Thanks,

Daryl

Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Posted by Carl Brewer <ca...@bl.echidna.id.au>.
Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> Here are the full headers from the previous message.
>
> Notice the space after X-Spam-Status - how did that get there?
>
> I am running spamd and spamass-milter with Sendmail 8.13.

It's a known problem.  Dan Nelson (spamass-milter maintainer) says it's
not spamass-milter :

> Libmilter should be expecting CRLF, I think, since that's what RFC 2822
> messages use.  Not that it ever sees EOLs except within the message
> body, though.  Headers are just text strings with no EOL markers (
> http://www.milter.org/milter_api/xxfi_header.html ).
>
> The only way a header could leak into the body would be if spamassassin
> added a LFLF or CRLFCRLF pair to a header line, since that's what
> spamass-milter uses to detect the header/boundary border.
>
> The messages spamass-milter generates for spamassassin to process
> always have CRLF-trailing headers.  The message itself isn't touched,
> although it's probably also CRLF-encoded since that's RFC 2822.
> Headers retrieved from spamassassin are parsed by looking for LF and
> stripping a preceding CR if it exists, so it should be pretty tolerant
> of whatever spamassassin decides to do.
>
> If you run spamassassin with the '-d spamc' flag, you should be able to
> see the raw data sent to and received from spamassassin.

Theo Van Dinter says it's not really spamassassin's problem :

> (Theo Van Dinter) :
>> The problem is caused by a specific feature that was added into
>> SpamAssassin in 3.1.1 -- namely that we'll use the same line endings that the
>> original message uses (LF vs CRLF).  spamass-milter relied on the previous
>> behavior (always use LF), which happened to work well with what libmilter
>> expected.
>>
>> So in this case, I would expect the spamass-milter code to be modified
>> to take into account that line endings could either be CRLF (3.1.1 and
>> beyond) or LF (3.1.0 and previous).
>>
>> (alternately, libmilter could be modified to handle either LF or CRLF, which
>> would probably be easier to code, but harder to get that API changed...)

But, it's broken -somewhere-, and the change was made in spamassassin.
Any chance of reverting the change in spamassassin so spamass-milter
works again?

Carl

Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> Yes, every messge (see below, too).

Please send me three copies of a message in a tarball:

Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Posted by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@forrie.com>.

Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:59:51 +0100
From: mouss <us...@free.fr>
To: Forrest Aldrich <fo...@forrie.com>
CC: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

	version=3.1.1

Re: Headers changed in 3.1.1?

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.
Forrest Aldrich a écrit :

> Since updating to SpamAssassin 3.1.1, I've noticed that headers are
> creeping into the basic message display of Thunderbird (nightly build):
>
>    version=3.1.1
>

>    Message content ... etc.
>
> I wonder if something has changed with regard to how the headers are
> formatted.
>
> It's always the same, starting at "version".   I realize this could be a
> Thunderbird issue; however, it seemed prudent to ask here, in case there
> is something I overlooked that could be tweaked.

how are you running SA? show complete headers (including the ones that
go into the body).