Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2010/11/09 19:18:46 UTC

Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

We are due to produce milestones 5.0M16 and 6.0M4 at the end of this
month.  I propose the following dates:

 Feature Freeze  Fri 19th November
 Code Freeze     Fri 26th November
 Publish         Fri  3rd November

We should track issues that should be fixed for these milestones with
JIRA using the "Fix for" field.  To see the current outstanding issues
see:

  http://s.apache.org/harmony/roadmap

We should definitely make an effort to fix:

I will have less time to assist with the release this time around so it
would be good to have a volunteer to be the release manager for these
milestones.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
I also will not have time to be release manager, but would be able to do
the usual testing for a release on Windows x86.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin
Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
I will help to test on linux platform.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Sian January
<si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have time to do some basic testing on Windows and vote on the
> Windows artifacts but I don't really have enough time to be release
> manager at the moment.
>

> On 22 November 2010 09:12, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In message <20...@d12av03.megacenter.de.ibm.com>,
>> "Mark Hindess" writes:
>>>
>>> We are due to produce milestones 5.0M16 and 6.0M4 at the end of this
>>> month.  I propose the following dates:
>>>
>>>  Feature Freeze  Fri 19th November
>>>  Code Freeze     Fri 26th November
>>>  Publish         Fri  3rd November
>>>
>>> We should track issues that should be fixed for these milestones with
>>> JIRA using the "Fix for" field.  To see the current outstanding issues
>>> see:
>>>
>>>   http://s.apache.org/harmony/roadmap
>>>
>>> We should definitely make an effort to fix:
>>>
>>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419
>>>
>>> I will have less time to assist with the release this time around so it
>>> would be good to have a volunteer to be the release manager for these
>>> milestones.
>>
>> Any volunteers?
>>
>> Do we have enough active PMC members to have sufficient oversight for
>> a release?
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Mark.
>>

> --
> Unless stated otherwise above:

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Charles Lee <li...@gmail.com>.
java5 test results:

TestsFailuresErrorsSuccess rateTime19441 <all-tests.html>5<alltests-fails.html>
3 <alltests-errors.html>99.96%1589.661

All FailuresClassNameStatusTypeTime(s)VariableTableTest<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/Method/627_VariableTableTest.html>
testVariableTableTest001<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/Method/627_VariableTableTest.html#testVariableTableTest001>
FailureMethod::VariableTable command, Error Code:<101(ABSENT_INFORMATION)>

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Method::VariableTable command, Error
Code:<101(ABSENT_INFORMATION)>
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.printErrorAndFail(JDWPTestCase.java:752)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.checkReplyPacket(JDWPTestCase.java:661)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.checkReplyPacket(JDWPTestCase.java:590)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.checkReplyPacket(JDWPTestCase.java:561)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.checkReplyPacket(JDWPTestCase.java:574)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Method.VariableTableTest.testVariableTableTest001(VariableTableTest.java:71)
at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)
2.221VariableTableWithGenericTest<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/Method/628_VariableTableWithGenericTest.html>
testVariableTableWithGenericTest001<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/Method/628_VariableTableWithGenericTest.html#testVariableTableWithGenericTest001>
FailureMethod::VariableTableWithGeneric command, Error
Code:<101(ABSENT_INFORMATION)>

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Method::VariableTableWithGeneric
command, Error Code:<101(ABSENT_INFORMATION)>
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.printErrorAndFail(JDWPTestCase.java:752)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.checkReplyPacket(JDWPTestCase.java:661)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.checkReplyPacket(JDWPTestCase.java:590)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.checkReplyPacket(JDWPTestCase.java:561)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.share.JDWPTestCase.checkReplyPacket(JDWPTestCase.java:574)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Method.VariableTableWithGenericTest.testVariableTableWithGenericTest001(VariableTableWithGenericTest.java:72)
at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)
1.303GetValuesTest<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/StackFrame/676_GetValuesTest.html>
testGetValues001<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/StackFrame/676_GetValuesTest.html#testGetValues001>
[...]

org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.JDWPStackFrameTestCase.jdwpGetVariableTable(JDWPStackFrameTestCase.java:132)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.GetValuesTest.examineGetValues(GetValuesTest.java:153)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.GetValuesTest.testGetValues001(GetValuesTest.java:80)
at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)
1.354SetValuesTest<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/StackFrame/679_SetValuesTest.html>
testSetValues001<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/StackFrame/679_SetValuesTest.html#testSetValues001>
[...]

org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.SetValuesTest.examineGetValues(SetValuesTest.java:154)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.SetValuesTest.testSetValues001(SetValuesTest.java:81)
at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)
1.228PackingOptionsTest<org/apache/harmony/pack200/tests/1159_PackingOptionsTest.html>
testModificationTime<org/apache/harmony/pack200/tests/1159_PackingOptionsTest.html#testModificationTime>
Failureexpected:<1193010738000> but was:<1193039538000>

junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<1193010738000> but
was:<1193039538000>
at
org.apache.harmony.pack200.tests.PackingOptionsTest.testModificationTime(PackingOptionsTest.java:211)
at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)
0.729

All ErrorsClassNameStatusTypeTime(s)CrashedTests<vmcrash/41_CrashedTests.html>
javax.swing.AccessibleJComponentTest<vmcrash/41_CrashedTests.html#javax.swing.AccessibleJComponentTest>
ErrorVM crash?

0.000CrashedTests <vmcrash/41_CrashedTests.html>
org.apache.harmony.logging.tests.java.util.logging.SocketHandlerTest<vmcrash/41_CrashedTests.html#org.apache.harmony.logging.tests.java.util.logging.SocketHandlerTest>
ErrorVM crash?

0.000LdapContextServerMockedTest<org/apache/harmony/jndi/provider/ldap/503_LdapContextServerMockedTest.html>
testRerralIgnore<org/apache/harmony/jndi/provider/ldap/503_LdapContextServerMockedTest.html#testRerralIgnore>
ErrorN/A

java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapClient.doSearchOperation(LdapClient.java:459)
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapClient.doOperation(LdapClient.java:350)
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapClient.doOperation(LdapClient.java:329)
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapContextImpl.doSearch(LdapContextImpl.java:1229)
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapContextImpl.doSearch(LdapContextImpl.java:1363)
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapContextImpl.getAttributes(LdapContextImpl.java:747)
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapContextImpl.getAttributes(LdapContextImpl.java:707)
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapContextImpl.getAttributes(LdapContextImpl.java:769)
at
javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.getAttributes(InitialDirContext.java:146)
at
org.apache.harmony.jndi.provider.ldap.LdapContextServerMockedTest.testRerralIgnore(LdapContextServerMockedTest.java:283)
at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)
0.098OwnedMonitorsTest<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/ThreadReference/690_OwnedMonitorsTest.html>
testOwnedMonitors001<org/apache/harmony/jpda/tests/jdwp/ThreadReference/690_OwnedMonitorsTest.html#testOwnedMonitors001>
ErrorError 20: INVALID_OBJECT

org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.framework.jdwp.exceptions.ReplyErrorCodeException:
Error 20: INVALID_OBJECT
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.framework.jdwp.VmMirror.checkReply(VmMirror.java:94)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.framework.jdwp.VmMirror.getThreadName(VmMirror.java:698)
at
org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.ThreadReference.OwnedMonitorsTest.testOwnedMonitors001(OwnedMonitorsTest.java:113)
at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)
2.215

--
Yours sincerely,
Charles Lee

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,
I think I understand now, we should fix it before the code freeze.
Currently, let's just move the target out to a later date.

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,
Sorry, I am very busy these days.
Currently, we still have some JDWP test failures.
Do they stop us to publish a new level?

If no, what process, we should follow?

Thanks!

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm... OK, let's deferring that to the next milestone.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/Dec/2010 15:40, Ray Chen wrote:
> > FYI.
> > This defect should be fixed in this milestone, see
> > http://s.apache.org/harmony/roadmap mentioned by Mark
>
> I see it is targeted to this milestone, I'm questioning whether that is
> correct.
>
> Why do you think it needs to be fixed now rather than deferring to the
> next milestone?
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>

> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> seems
> apply

> >> During freeze time we only apply patches that are resolving blocking
> >> issues for the release to ensure we retain stability.
> >>
> >> Is this a regression from behavior that worked in the 5.0M15 milestone?
> >> (I don't think so) or is it a major failure that means we should restart
> >> testing?
> >>
> >> I suggest this may be a candidate for defering until the next milestone.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Tim

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,
FYI.
This defect should be fixed in this milestone, see
http://s.apache.org/harmony/roadmap mentioned by Mark

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/Dec/2010 08:23, Ray Chen wrote:
> > Hi Comitters,
> > I have reviewed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6656,
> seems
> > look good.
> > I remember that there should be at least two committers to agree to apply
> > patch during code freeze time, right?
> >
> > Does anyone else can help to review this patch?
>
> During freeze time we only apply patches that are resolving blocking
> issues for the release to ensure we retain stability.
>
> Is this a regression from behavior that worked in the 5.0M15 milestone?
> (I don't think so) or is it a major failure that means we should restart
> testing?
>
> I suggest this may be a candidate for defering until the next milestone.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Comitters,

<ma...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> We are due to produce milestones 5.0M16 and 6.0M4 at the end of this
> month.  I propose the following dates:
>
>  Feature Freeze  Fri 19th November
>  Code Freeze     Fri 26th November
>  Publish         Fri  3rd November
>
> We should track issues that should be fixed for these milestones with
> JIRA using the "Fix for" field.  To see the current outstanding issues
> see:
>
>  http://s.apache.org/harmony/roadmap
>
> We should definitely make an effort to fix:
>
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419
>
> I will have less time to assist with the release this time around so it
> would be good to have a volunteer to be the release manager for these
> milestones.
>
> Regards,
>  Mark.

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Mark, the publish date should be 3rd December, right?  :)

<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> We are due to produce milestones 5.0M16 and 6.0M4 at the end of this
> month.  I propose the following dates:
>
>  Feature Freeze  Fri 19th November
>  Code Freeze     Fri 26th November
>  Publish         Fri  3rd November
>
> We should track issues that should be fixed for these milestones with
> JIRA using the "Fix for" field.  To see the current outstanding issues
> see:
>
>  http://s.apache.org/harmony/roadmap
>
> We should definitely make an effort to fix:
>
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419
>
> I will have less time to assist with the release this time around so it
> would be good to have a volunteer to be the release manager for these
> milestones.
>
> Regards,
>  Mark.

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <AA...@mail.gmail.com>,
Ray Chen writes:

> Hi Mark,
> Is there any document or wiki to guide how to publish new milestone?

I wrote a little about what I on this list a while back:

  http://markmail.org/message/qa6bmifrmsdkbrkg

and there is quite a bit of general apache release info at:

  http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html

BTW, I've not had time (nor will I in the immediate future) to look
at the jdwp problem described at:

  http://markmail.org/message/aoai3ybxubf6gclp

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

<ma...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> We are due to produce milestones 5.0M16 and 6.0M4 at the end of this
> month.  I propose the following dates:
>
>  Feature Freeze  Fri 19th November
>  Code Freeze     Fri 26th November
>  Publish         Fri  3rd November
>
> We should track issues that should be fixed for these milestones with
> JIRA using the "Fix for" field.  To see the current outstanding issues
> see:
>
>  http://s.apache.org/harmony/roadmap
>
> We should definitely make an effort to fix:
>
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419
>
> I will have less time to assist with the release this time around so it
> would be good to have a volunteer to be the release manager for these
> milestones.
>
> Regards,
>  Mark.

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 08/Dec/2010 09:21, Ray Chen wrote:
> For https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419, I have applied it
> and run the test, seems it works well and no regression.
> I think it should be committed.
> Any comments?

I agree.  Patch applied at r1043880.

Regards,
Tim

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/Dec/2010 15:31, Ray Chen wrote:
> > Sure,  I propose the following dates:
> >
> >  Feature Freeze  Wed 15th December
> >  Code Freeze     Wed 22nd December
> >  Publish         Wed 29th December
>
> Unless somebody shouts, I don't think we need to adopt a length feature
> freeze.  I don't see any major work in flight at the moment.  So how
> about code freeze sooner (say Dec 10th) and publish the net milestone a
> week later (Dec 17th)?
>
> > Please help to run the tests.
> >
> > Tim,
> > I found Kevin has attached a patch for
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419,  would you please
> help
> > to review it?
>
> Sure.  If others want to review it too that is fine ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> > Let's make new milstones for the coming New Year!  :)
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> time.
> >>
> >> Hi Ray,
> >>
> >> Thanks for volunteering to do some RM.  I can also help with the
> process.
> >>
> >> How about we set a new proposed date for the next milestone, and work
> >> towards that?  Encouraging people to report test results and getting the
> >> list of JIRA must fixes sorted would be the first step.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Tim

> >> AANLkTimb6FfNVpGmSTYcKLXMnM5ZNmMEkSxJOPXS62di@mail.gmail.com>,

> vote,

> svn

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
OK.
Code Freeze 10th December
Publish 17th December

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/Dec/2010 15:31, Ray Chen wrote:
> > Sure,  I propose the following dates:
> >
> >  Feature Freeze  Wed 15th December
> >  Code Freeze     Wed 22nd December
> >  Publish         Wed 29th December
>
> Unless somebody shouts, I don't think we need to adopt a length feature
> freeze.  I don't see any major work in flight at the moment.  So how
> about code freeze sooner (say Dec 10th) and publish the net milestone a
> week later (Dec 17th)?
>
> > Please help to run the tests.
> >
> > Tim,
> > I found Kevin has attached a patch for
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419,  would you please
> help
> > to review it?
>
> Sure.  If others want to review it too that is fine ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>
> > Let's make new milstones for the coming New Year!  :)
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> time.
> >>
> >> Hi Ray,
> >>
> >> Thanks for volunteering to do some RM.  I can also help with the
> process.
> >>
> >> How about we set a new proposed date for the next milestone, and work
> >> towards that?  Encouraging people to report test results and getting the
> >> list of JIRA must fixes sorted would be the first step.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Tim

> >> AANLkTimb6FfNVpGmSTYcKLXMnM5ZNmMEkSxJOPXS62di@mail.gmail.com>,

> vote,

> svn

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Sure,  I propose the following dates:

 Feature Freeze  Wed 15th December
 Code Freeze     Wed 22nd December
 Publish         Wed 29th December

Please help to run the tests.

Tim,
I found Kevin has attached a patch for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419,  would you please help
to review it?

Let's make new milstones for the coming New Year!  :)

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30/Nov/2010 13:55, Ray Chen wrote:
> > Hmmm... Ok, I think it will take some time to understand these for some
> time.
> > Maybe we should put this milestone off for serveral days before I
> > understand all the process.
>
> Hi Ray,
>
> Thanks for volunteering to do some RM.  I can also help with the process.
>
> How about we set a new proposed date for the next milestone, and work
> towards that?  Encouraging people to report test results and getting the
> list of JIRA must fixes sorted would be the first step.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>

> > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Mark Hindess
> > <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> In message <
> AANLkTimb6FfNVpGmSTYcKLXMnM5ZNmMEkSxJOPXS62di@mail.gmail.com>,

> >> No.  See:
> >>
> >>  http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#release_manager

> >> That would be great.

> >> Ask here if you have questions.  My activity as release manager for
> >> previous releases was something like ...
> >>
> >> Suggest dates, announce freezes, encourage people to do testing and
> >> move things along a bit when people send test results, work to resolve
> >> release critical issues, produce signed source artifacts, start a vote,
> >> conclude the vote and produce signed binaries.
> >>
> >> The scripts I use to create linux source and binary artifacts are in svn
> >> at:
> >>
> >>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/standard/tools/release
> >>
> >> I do the equivalent manual process for both windows platforms.
> >>
> >> The last crucial part is populating the /dist/ tree for mirroring.
> >> You need to be careful doing this so as to avoid messing up lots of
> >> mirrors.  I tend to make the tree elsewhere then check that it matches
> >> the size/shape of the previous release tree before using rsync to put
> >> it in to /dist/.
> >>
> >> Just ask if you have question about any of the process.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>  Mark.

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.

<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> In message <AA...@mail.gmail.com>,
> Ray Chen writes:
>>
>> Hi Mark,
>> Does release manager must be a PMC?
>
> No.  See:
>
>  http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#release_manager
>
>> If not, maybe I can take the responsibility.
>
> That would be great.
>
>> However, I don't know much about how to do it, I think we need some
>> transferring work.
>
> Ask here if you have questions.  My activity as release manager for
> previous releases was something like ...
>
> Suggest dates, announce freezes, encourage people to do testing and
> move things along a bit when people send test results, work to resolve
> release critical issues, produce signed source artifacts, start a vote,
> conclude the vote and produce signed binaries.
>
> The scripts I use to create linux source and binary artifacts are in svn
> at:
>
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/standard/tools/release
>
> I do the equivalent manual process for both windows platforms.
>
> The last crucial part is populating the /dist/ tree for mirroring.
> You need to be careful doing this so as to avoid messing up lots of
> mirrors.  I tend to make the tree elsewhere then check that it matches
> the size/shape of the previous release tree before using rsync to put
> it in to /dist/.
>
> Just ask if you have question about any of the process.
>
> Regards,
>  Mark.

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,
Does release manager must be a PMC?
If not, maybe I can take the responsibility.
However, I don't know much about how to do it, I think we need some
transferring work.

If it has to be a PMC, I think we have to wait for a volunteer.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Mark Hindess
<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> be release manager then there wont be any milestone releases.
>
> When I integrated my build changes I made a mistake and subsequently
> jdwp was being built in release mode when it hadn't been previously.
> The optimized code exhibits a problem - that I guess must exist in some
> of our previous milestone releases - that isn't seen in debug mode.  I
> think this is causing the JDWP failures.
>
> I had planned to binary chop the sources to see which one has problems
> when optimized but haven't had time to do this yet.  For now I guess
> we should just disable optimization for the jdwp module.
>
> Regards,
>  Mark.
>
> In message <AA...@mail.gmail.com>,
> Ray Chen writes:
>>
>> I have run test tests of trunk on linux platform:
>> I got 10 test failures and 2 test errors
>>
>> failures:
>> java.awt.AccessibleAWTWindowTest.testGetAccessibleStateSet
>> javax.swing.JComponent_MultithreadedTest.testRequestFocusInWindowboolean
>> javax.swing.JComponent_MultithreadedTest.testRevalidate
>> javax.swing.JTextPaneTest.testGetLogicalStyle
>> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollBarUITest.testGetThumbBounds
>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Method.VariableTableTest.testVariableTable
>> Test001
>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Method.VariableTableWithGenericTest.testVa
>> riableTableWithGenericTest001
>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.GetValuesTest.testGetValues001
>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.SetValuesTest.testSetValues001
>> org.apache.harmony.pack200.tests.PackingOptionsTest.testModificationTime
>>
>> After run the tests independently:
>> java.awt.AccessibleAWTWindowTest.testGetAccessibleStateSet PASS
>> javax.swing.JComponent_MultithreadedTest PASS
>> javax.swing.JTextPaneTest PASS
>> javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollBarUITest PASS
>>
>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Method.VariableTableTest.testVariableTable
>> Test001
>> Failed every time.
>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Method.VariableTableWithGenericTest
>> Failed every time.
>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.GetValuesTest.testGetValues001
>> Failed every time.
>> org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.StackFrame.SetValuesTest.testSetValues001
>> Failed every time.
>> org.apache.harmony.pack200.tests.PackingOptionsTest.testModificationTime
>> Failed every time.
>>
>> errors:
>> java.awt.event.MouseEventTest.testHarmony5215 NPE
>> org.apache.harmony.luni.tests.java.net.InetAddressTest crashed
>>
>> After re-ran them independently, InetAddressTest can pass some time
>> but org.apache.harmony.luni.tests.java.net.InetAddressTest.test_isReachableLj
>> ava_net_NetworkInterfaceII
>> failed intermittently.
>> java.awt.event.MouseEventTest.testHarmony5215 throws NPE every time.
>>
>> I will give the java6 test results later.

Ray Chen

Re: Next milestones: 5.0M16 and 6.0M4

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <AA...@mail.gmail.com>,
Ray Chen writes:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Mark Hindess
> <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Your enthusiasm is commendable but if we still don't have a
> > volunteer to be release manager then there wont be any milestone
> > releases.
> >
> > When I integrated my build changes I made a mistake and subsequently
> > jdwp was being built in release mode when it hadn't been previously.
> > The optimized code exhibits a problem - that I guess must exist in
> > some of our previous milestone releases - that isn't seen in debug
> > mode.  I think this is causing the JDWP failures.
> >
> > I had planned to binary chop the sources to see which one has
> > problems when optimized but haven't had time to do this yet.  For
> > now I guess we should just disable optimization for the jdwp module.
>
> Can you point it out how to disable optimization for the jdwp
> module? Shall we modify some scripts?

So, it turns out I was wrong about where the problem is...  I did two
builds:

  ant -Dhy.cfg=release -Dhy.target=$PWD/target.release

and:

  ant -Dhy.cfg=debug -Dhy.target=$PWD/target.debug

I then ran the org.apache.harmony.jpda.tests.jdwp.Method.VariableTableTest
on each one.  It fails on the release build and works on the debug build.

So I created a test build by initially copying the working target.debug:

  cp -pr target.debug target

Then I did:

  cp target.release/hdk/jdk/jre/bin/libjdwp.so target/hdk/jdk/jre/bin
  cp target.release/hdk/jdk/jre/bin/libdt_socket.so target/hdk/jdk/jre/bin

expecting this to cause it to stop working but the test still passed.  In
fact if I replaced the entire working (debug) jre directory with the jre
directory from the failing (release) one, then it still passes.

It turns out that hdk/build/test/jpda/jpda_tests.jar is the crucial file
that causes it to break or not.  To get further I need to binary chop
this file to find out what is different between the working (debug) copy
of this jar and the failing (release) copy.

I've not got time to do this - at least not before the code freeze
tomorrow.  Also, I'd be interested to know if anyone else can reproduce
my results as I've been doing this in my non-existent spare time over
the course of about three weeks so it is quite possible I made mistakes.

I will carry on looking at it as/when I get spare time.

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Ray,