Posted to zeta-dev@incubator.apache.org by Tim Landscheidt <ti...@tim-landscheidt.de> on 2012/01/24 04:38:06 UTC

[zeta-dev] Graph module for timelines or intervals in general?

Hi,

I'm looking at ez^WApache Zeta Components as a possible li-
brary to generate timelines in MediaWiki.  ATM, the MediaWi-
ki extension in question (EasyTimeline) relies on ploticus
which is powerful, but an external factor to the PHP habitat
of MediaWiki and not available in many environments.  Also,
one of the major advantages of Zeta::Graph is its ability to
produce SVG and PNG + image map.

  Unfortunately (but not that surprising given the usual
area of application :-)), Zeta::Graph doesn't provide time-
lines so far.  You can see some of the charts I want to be
able to generate at
<URI:http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Timeline#Charts_examples>.
Please note that one of the examples ("Vocal and instrumen-
tal pitch ranges") isn't a timeline at all.

  So my initial question would be: Has anyone already imple-
mented such a chart? :-)  Perhaps thought about an API?

  If not, I would give it a try and use one of the other
chart types as a template.  Any suggestions which one might
be most suitable?

TIA,
Tim

Re: [zeta-dev] Graph module for timelines or intervals in general?

Posted by Kore Nordmann <ko...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 09:38 +0000, Derick Rethans wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
>
> >   So my initial question would be: Has anyone already imple-
> > mented such a chart? :-)  Perhaps thought about an API?
>
> I have not heard of that.

No, I don't know anyone who might have done that or thought about a
proper API for that. Given the nature of the existing data, it would
involve coming up with new:

- Datasets (representation of this (partially) tree-structured data)
- Renderer
- Chart (basically just an element container)

This would be some work, but you should be able to re-use large parts of
the existing charting framework.

> > If not, I would give it a try and use one of the other
> > chart types as a template.  Any suggestions which one might
> > be most suitable?

I guess starting with the line chart would be the best way to go.

Cheers,
Kore

Re: [zeta-dev] Graph module for timelines or intervals in general?

Posted by Derick Rethans <de...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Tim Landscheidt wrote:

>   So my initial question would be: Has anyone already imple-
> mented such a chart? :-)  Perhaps thought about an API?

I have not heard of that.

>   If not, I would give it a try and use one of the other
> chart types as a template.  Any suggestions which one might
> be most suitable?

Kore?

cheers,
Derick