Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com> on 2019/01/26 01:44:45 UTC

Does anyone use make_{asan,debug,impala,release}.sh?

Currently one of the biggest pain points with the build system is the
number of layered shell scripts that interact with each other in
non-obvious ways.

The easiest way to simplify the situation, to start off with, is to delete
or deprecate some of them as entry points. I deleted some in
https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/12271/ and it felt good.

The make_*.sh scripts are one candidate. I think the logic there should be
either moved to CMake (preferably) so we get proper dependency management
and a standard interface or become a function in buildall.sh. That way,
buildall.sh is the entry point if you want to do a full build or switch
build types and make/ninja is the entry point for incremental builds.
That's already my workflow and it works well.

Does anyone use those make_*.sh scripts directly as part of their workflow?
If so, which ones and how attached are you to them?

- Tim

Re: Does anyone use make_{asan,debug,impala,release}.sh?

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.
Here's a review for the easy part: https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/12306/

I filed a different JIRA for the trickier part with a rough plan of attack:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-8147

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>.
+1 to getting rid of them.

Posted by Quanlong Huang <hu...@gmail.com>.