Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu> on 2011/10/25 10:31:43 UTC

[VOTE] Merge branch Temp_ComplexScripts into trunk

With his latest patch, Glenn Adams wrote:

With this latest patch I am satisfied that there is sufficient testing and
stability in the CS branch to support its merger into trunk. Therefore, I
request that such a merge be accomplished after applying patch 5 to the CS
branch.

... snip ...

Note that there remains work to be done on CS support, including adding
support for:

   - additional scripts
   - additional output formats

At present, support is provided for:

   - Arabic, Hebrew, and Devanagari Scripts
   - PDF output format

I expect that additional support for other scripts and formats will be added
over time, either by myself, or other members of the community. However, the
absence of support for all complex scripts and all output formats should not
be a deterrent to active use of the support already present. It is now a
good time to broaden the user community of the CS features, and the best way
to do that is to bring it into the trunk at this time.

End of quote

Following this request, I herewith propose to merge the branch
Temp_ComplexScripts into trunk, and launch a formal vote.

I vote positive: +1

For the rules of voting about code commits, see the project charter,
article 11, http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics/ProjectCharter.

Simon Pepping

Re: [VOTE] Merge branch Temp_ComplexScripts into trunk

Posted by Clay Leeds <th...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Pascal! And thank you Glenn! Great work!

+1 from me!

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
- HH The Dalai Lama of Tibet

Posted by Pascal Sancho <pa...@takoma.fr>.
Hi,

Re: Ligatures

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Thanks Tony! I'll look into that. And nice to hear from you after many
years.

Best,
Glenn

Re: Ligatures

Posted by Tony Graham <tg...@mentea.net>.

Re: Ligatures (was: [VOTE] Merge branch Temp_ComplexScripts into trunk)

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Posted by "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org>.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
The short answer is that if you do not wish to be affected by complex script
support, you can use the new "-nocs" command line option or you can specify
<complex-scripts disabled='true'/> in your FOP configuration file.

Keep in mind that Latin (Roman), Cyrillic, and Greek scripts also benefit
from support when complex scripts are enabled, since in these cases the
advanced typographic tables (ATT) present in OpenType fonts used with these
scripts are enabled. For example, such tables enable the correct placement
of combining marks (e.g., diacritics and accents) with base characters.

G.

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Hancock <pe...@gmail.com>.
I will vote -0 with reasons I have already expressed in the 'Merge
Request - Temp_ComplexScripts into Trunk' thread.

I hope we can go forward refining this work, along with the rest FOP,
through constructive collaboration, respecting the varied degrees of
experiences, expertises and passion that we can all bring to the
project.

Peter

[1] http://markmail.org/message/ti5233ftlxacau4a

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Merge branch Temp_ComplexScripts into trunk

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Simon,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your prior assistance on this work.
I will continue to maintain and develop support for internationalization
features in FOP in my public repository [1].

[1] http://github.com/skynavga/fop

See also [2] for up to date documentation on these features as well as
bug/issue tracking.

[2] http://skynav.trac.cvsdude.com/fop

Regards,
Glenn

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Simon,

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Simon,

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Thank you FOP team. As I have stated previously, I am prepared to improve
and maintain this code moving forward, including adding comments for local
variables not already described, and refactoring certain classes to reduce
class size.

I've also given some thought to moving the new CS classes in o.a.f.fonts
into a new subpackage:

org.apache.fop.fonts.complexscripts

It may also be possible to refactor the new ATT parsing support I added to
o.a.f.fonts.truetype.TTFFile into separate files as well. Frankly, though, I
wonder if the entire font subsystem isn't in need of a redesign. It seems to
be overly complex and unwieldy even without the new CS features.

I may also refactor BidiUtil and move into a new subpackage:

org.apache.fop.layoutengine.bidi

Regarding o.a.f.complexscripts.util.TTXFile, this is a utility class used
only with certain junit related test files. At present, checkstyle is not
even run on *any* of the junit related java source files. Length of this
file or its methods or number of field declarations should not an issue. If
someone wants to refactor that file as an exercise for the reader, I have no
objection.

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.  A lot of work, a great achievement.

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
On 25/10/2011 09:31, Simon Pepping wrote:
> With his latest patch, Glenn Adams wrote:

Hi All,

> With this latest patch I am satisfied that there is sufficient testing and
> stability in the CS branch to support its merger into trunk. Therefore, I
> request that such a merge be accomplished after applying patch 5 to the CS
> branch.

Although there are some concerns over certain technical aspects in the Complex Scripts branch Glenn has spent some time answering our concerns and has made some steps towards a compromise. Given the need for this feature in the community and the level of testing Glenn has conducted I am happy for the merge to proceed. Thanks for your hard work Glenn!

<snip/>

> Following this request, I herewith propose to merge the branch
> Temp_ComplexScripts into trunk, and launch a formal vote.
>
> I vote positive: +1

+1

> For the rules of voting about code commits, see the project charter,
> article 11, http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics/ProjectCharter.
>
> Simon Pepping

Chris

Re: [VOTE] Merge branch Temp_ComplexScripts into trunk

Posted by Pascal Sancho <pa...@takoma.fr>.
I vote positive too: +1

--
Pascal