Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Eaton <ja...@jungawunga.com> on 2000/10/06 22:24:30 UTC

Does Tomcat 3.1 Support Apache/SSL?

My Apache configuration supports SSL and is working but when I access jsp
files or any other servlet via Tomcat/Apache/SSL I get url not found.

Are my configurations messed up? Does Tomcat 3.1 support SSL?

Thanks.

Jason Eaton

Jungawunga Inc.
http://www.jungawunga.com
103B Whispering Pines Road
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
p 831.438.0475
m 408.858.5585

Re: RES: [Tomcat-users] Re: Does Tomcat 3.1 Support Apache/SSL?

Posted by Jason Eaton <ja...@jungawunga.com>.
Thanks for the sample config file Sergio. That does indeed enable SSL for
that virtual host. I ran into another problem when I enabled it though. I
get this error from the Apache www server now;

[09/Oct/2000 14:14:24 24351] [error] Couldn't recover size of server key
truga.jungawunga.net:443/KEY_LENGTH

The weird thing is if I comment out the additions that Sergio recommends to
my conf file, Https works just fine with this same key on the main pages,
but doesnt work on the tomcat urls! Why would Apache complain about the key
in one instance but not the other.

Yes I did make sure that the "ServerName" is set to the same common name in
the certificate. Weird problem.

Boggled.

At 09:17 AM 10/9/2000, you wrote:
>Here's a piece of code that describle a virtual host without SSL and with
>SSL :
>
>NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.13:80
><VirtualHost 192.168.0.13:80>
>ServerName www.the_site.com.br
>ApJServMount / ajpv12://192.168.0.13:8007
></VirtualHost>
>
>NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.13:443
><VirtualHost 192.168.0.13:443>
>SSLEngine on
>SSLCertificateFile
>/usr/local/apache/tomcat/webapps/the_site/ssl/www.the_site.com.br.crt
>SSLCertificateKeyFile
>/usr/local/apache/tomcat/webapps/the_site/ssl/www.the_site.com.br.key
>ServerName www.the_site.com.br
>ApJServMount / ajpv12://192.168.0.13:8007
></VirtualHost>
>

>Sergio Stateri Jr
>stateri@tesla.com.br
>Tesla Tecnologia
>Sao Paulo (SP) Brazil

Jason Eaton

Jungawunga Inc.
http://www.jungawunga.com
103B Whispering Pines Road
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
p 831.438.0475
m 408.858.5585

RES: [Tomcat-users] Re: Does Tomcat 3.1 Support Apache/SSL?

Enviada em: Sexta-feira, 6 de Outubro de 2000 23:13
Para: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Assunto: [Tomcat-users] Re: Does Tomcat 3.1 Support Apache/SSL?

At 06:04 PM 10/6/2000, you wrote:

>looks fine, i guess.  Is the .jsp URL not found an apache or tomcat error
>message?

Looks like an Apache error 404. I don't see any hit in the Tomcat logs for
the url.

>I don't think I can help you because mod_jserv never suited my needs.  I
>did internal proxing, and now mod_jk is available (and my needs are a lot
>less at the moment).
>
>I would assume to look at the tomcat logs files to verify that the
>requests aren't coming to it.  Then assume it's the httpd.conf.
>
>Just another starting point.  Are .jsp's working without SSL?

Yes, when i don't specify https the JSP stuff works fine.

>HTH,
>
>Kenneth Topp
>

> > </Context>

> > > There
> > >
> > >That's a safe bet.  Try towards the bottom.
> > >
> > >Good luck.
> > >
> > >Kenneth Topp

> > > access jsp
> found.

> assumptions of
> releated to

> > Jason Eaton
> >
> > Jungawunga Inc.
> > http://www.jungawunga.com
> > 103B Whispering Pines Road
> > Scotts Valley, CA 95066
> > p 831.438.0475
> > m 408.858.5585

Jason Eaton

Jungawunga Inc.
http://www.jungawunga.com
103B Whispering Pines Road
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
p 831.438.0475
m 408.858.5585

Re: Does Tomcat 3.1 Support Apache/SSL?

Posted by Jason Eaton <ja...@jungawunga.com>.

At 06:04 PM 10/6/2000, you wrote:

>looks fine, i guess.  Is the .jsp URL not found an apache or tomcat error
>message?

Looks like an Apache error 404. I don't see any hit in the Tomcat logs for
the url.

>I don't think I can help you because mod_jserv never suited my needs.  I
>did internal proxing, and now mod_jk is available (and my needs are a lot
>less at the moment).
>
>I would assume to look at the tomcat logs files to verify that the
>requests aren't coming to it.  Then assume it's the httpd.conf.
>
>Just another starting point.  Are .jsp's working without SSL?

Yes, when i dont specify https the JSP stuff works fine.

>HTH,
>
>Kenneth Topp
>

> > </Context>

> > > There
> > >
> > >That's a safe bet.  Try towards the bottom.
> > >
> > >Good luck.
> > >
> > >Kenneth Topp

> > > access jsp
> found.

> assumptions of
> releated to

> > Jason Eaton
> >
> > Jungawunga Inc.
> > http://www.jungawunga.com
> > 103B Whispering Pines Road
> > Scotts Valley, CA 95066
> > p 831.438.0475
> > m 408.858.5585

Jason Eaton

Jungawunga Inc.
http://www.jungawunga.com
103B Whispering Pines Road
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
p 831.438.0475
m 408.858.5585

Re: Does Tomcat 3.1 Support Apache/SSL?

Posted by kenneth topp <ca...@prodigy.net>.
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jason Eaton wrote:

> I am still having troubles trying to get Apache/Tomcat/SSL to work together.
>
>   I am using 2 virtual host settings and both of those virtual hosts work
> with SSL on ALL pages EXCEPT where the servlets mount. This section of the
> file also includes the document roots for the virtual hosts so I know that
> section of the file is being processed for SSL.
>
> Can somebody give me a hand with this? Thanks.
>
> Here is a section from my Apache config file;
>
> <VirtualHost 205.179.150.146>
>    DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html
>    ServerName www.jungawunga.net
>    ApJServMount /jsp ajpv12://localhost:8007/root
>    ApJServMount /xsql ajpv12://localhost:8007/root

    AddHandler jserv-servlet .jsp

> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 205.179.150.146>
>    DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/route88
>    ServerName www.openroad.com
>    ApJServMount /home/httpd/jsp/route88 ajpv12://localhost:8009/root

    AddHandler jserv-servlet .jsp

> </VirtualHost>

maybe the AddHandler in the virtual host helps?

> # tomcat can only load if we run jserv
> <IfModule mod_jserv.c>
>    ApJServManual on
>    ApJServDefaultProtocol ajpv12
>    ApJServSecretKey DISABLED
>    ApJServMountCopy on
>    ApJServLogLevel notice
>
>    ApJServDefaultHost localhost
>    ApJServDefaultPort 8007
>
>    AddHandler jserv-servlet .jsp
> </IfModule>

IfModule mod_jserv.c in the SSL part as well as the virtual hosts?

Posted by Jason Eaton <ja...@jungawunga.com>.

At 01:46 PM 10/6/2000, you wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jason Eaton wrote:
>

> > I am using the httpds.conf file included with my Apache installation.
> There
> > are <IfDefine SSL> sections in the file. Am I to wrap any Tomcat
> > cofigurations with <IfDefine SSL> as well?
>
>That's a safe bet.  Try towards the bottom.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Kenneth Topp
>

> > Sorry I am new to Apache configuration.
> >
> > Thanks.

> access jsp

> > >I believe there are some issues in tomcat wrt URI, making assumptions of
> > >it being http: not https:, but I think any problem you have is releated to
> > >your webserver configuration.
> > >
> > >Remeber, if you've done a stock mod_ssl config (for example) the ssl
> > >section of the httpd.conf configuration is separate from the normal
> > >configuration.

> > Jason Eaton
> >
> > Jungawunga Inc.
> > http://www.jungawunga.com
> > 103B Whispering Pines Road
> > Scotts Valley, CA 95066
> > p 831.438.0475
> > m 408.858.5585

Jason Eaton

Jungawunga Inc.
http://www.jungawunga.com
103B Whispering Pines Road
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
p 831.438.0475
m 408.858.5585

Re: Does Tomcat 3.1 Support Apache/SSL?

Posted by kenneth topp <ca...@prodigy.net>.

Posted by Jason Eaton <ja...@jungawunga.com>.
I am using the httpds.conf file included with my Apache installation. There
are <IfDefine SSL> sections in the file. Am I to wrap any Tomcat
cofigurations with <IfDefine SSL> as well?

Sorry I am new to Apache configuration.

Thanks.

At 01:30 PM 10/6/2000, kenneth topp wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jason Eaton wrote:
>

> > My Apache configuration supports SSL and is working but when I access jsp
> > files or any other servlet via Tomcat/Apache/SSL I get url not found.
> >
> > Are my configurations messed up? Does Tomcat 3.1 support SSL?
>
>I believe there are some issues in tomcat wrt URI, making assumptions of
>it being http: not https:, but I think any problem you have is releated to
>your webserver configuration.
>
>Remeber, if you've done a stock mod_ssl config (for example) the ssl
>section of the httpd.conf configuration is separate from the normal
>configuration.
>

> > Thanks.

> > Jason Eaton
> >
> > Jungawunga Inc.