Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Brendan Vogt <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/22 13:16:51 UTC

ERP Naming Conventions

Hi,

I have been wondering for some time now, is there any specific route to
follow in naming/creating SKUs for a product?  And Maybe creating a Category
or Catalog ID?  I know they can be called anything, but I want to follow
best practices if there is any.

Regards

Brendan

Re: ERP Naming Conventions

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Each industry seems to have it own way of naming.
I may be corrected, but with my clients, the Products ID have not
association with the actual inventoried items, InventoryID or Supplier SKU.
Since you can have many suppliers of a Product, and each supplier can
have a separate ID other than the SKU, the Product ID can be a text
description or you can allow Ofbiz to assigned a sequential number.
Note that the internal name of a product is used by ofbiz alot.

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 12/22/2007 4:16 AM: