Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Shishir Kumar Viplav <sk...@outlook.com> on 2019/08/25 15:28:45 UTC

Dealing with a large results file after a load test

Hi,

I am running a load test where I need to simulate multiple transactions happening simultaneously. For this, I have seven thread groups in a single Jmeter script where each thread group 2-20 users resulting into a total of 100 users. I ran this test for five minutes with no think time.

  1.  This resulted in a 289 MB CSV file, and it took about 153 minutes to process that file into an HTML report on a system with 36 cores (72 CPU threads) and 256 GB of memory (with 64 GB allocated to the JVM processing the CSV file).
  2.  The system has no I/O problems. I/O service times were consistently below 0.5 milliseconds.
  3.  While trying to open the report in Firefox, it takes a while to display the main dashboard and simply crashes when I try to see a graph (such as response times over time graph).
  4.  The dashboard directory is 1.9 GB in size, in which one "graph.js" alone is 1.7 GB in size.

I have a few questions here.

  1.  Has anyone attempted a test like this before? I am actually supposed to move on to 6000 users (with some sleep time) eventually and I'm pretty sure that it will result in an even larger file.
  2.  How do you manage to generate reports and display graphs properly from such a large results file?

I have worked with HP Loadrunner and Oracle Application Testing Suite before. I'm trying to move to Jmeter but it doesn't seem to be as straightforward. Hope someone can help.

Thanks
SK

Re: Dealing with a large results file after a load test

Posted by Shishir Kumar Viplav <sk...@outlook.com>.
Thank you for your response, Flavio.

I have considered ways to reduce the amount of samples Jmeter collects during the load test. In my case, I have put requests (HTTP samplers) for different transactions into their respective transaction controllers. This way, I have seven controllers that undergo multiple iterations for the test period (5 minutes currently) and I only want the performance data for these controllers. For this, I have set "jmeter.reportgenerator.exporter.html.show_controllers_only=true" in user.properties, and it also works. On the summary page, I only see data for the controllers. But when I switch to graphs, the browser crashes. I can handle the insane amount of time it took to process the file and generate the report, but not being able to see graphs is a much bigger problem.

-SK