Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org> on 2012/08/16 22:26:27 UTC

WebConsole versioning

Once again I back with WebConsole topic. As we plan to support bot 2.x and 3.x line. Current trunk (0.3.0-SNAPSHOT) of webconsole supports 2.x and I am about to start 3.x branch to get karaf trunk also supported. The problem is that we can not have the same version for both Karaf versions due changes in package names and so on. So the WebConsole must have two different versions, one for Karaf 2.x and second for 3.x.

Another option is to make *core* of webconsole Karaf version agnostic, but then we still have submodules which have to support different versions of Karaf & OSGi runtime. Currently thing which breaks compability of 2.x vs 3.x is JAAS stuff and move of some packages to jaas.boot. In my opinion it's easier to manage release process with one version per branch, not like Aries does - a version per module.

On IRC we had few options, one was classifier, another was to start with 2.x version for Karaf 2.x and 3.x for Karaf 3.x - just like we have with Cellar.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Lukasz

Re: WebConsole versioning

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
That's whole plan. To go beyond karaf as runtime and let others adopt console with some other container/server environment.

Best regards,
Łukasz Dywicki
--
Code-House
http://code-house.org

Re: WebConsole versioning

Re: WebConsole versioning

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Please keep in mind that Cellar is more specific to Karaf than Web Console is. People can run Web Console on single node, for development purposes and so on. I won't say that Cellar is only for Karaf, but it's mostly used with Karaf.

Going further Karaf can be one from platforms supported by Web Console. Maybe we can do something tricky and separately release core of Web Console and have branding/platform support for Karaf 2.x and 3.x? Things like OSGi management do not depend of Karaf and we should not have two different versions of same code, don't you think?

For now we have
webconsole
 - core
 - osgi
    - core
    - config
 - karaf
    - features
    - admin
 - admin
 - web

We could do:
webconsole
 - core
 - osgi
    - core
    - config
 - admin
 - platform
   - web
   - karaf-2.x
      - features
      - admin
   - karaf-3.x
      - features
      - admin

Thanks to that we'll keep same version of common artifacts and have support for Karaf 2.x and 3.x. We can also have a separate branches of platforms.
That makes versioning a bit more complicated, but I think it fits development better and it's still simple for user.

Best regards,
Lukasz

Wiadomość napisana przez Achim Nierbeck w dniu 18 sie 2012, o godz. 19:06:

Re: WebConsole versioning

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Re: WebConsole versioning

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.