Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2006/01/24 18:12:02 UTC

Re: mod_proxy_balancer: how to define failover (only)/hot standby

Mladen Turk wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > Actually, dev@httpd.apache.org is best, since that is where
> > the development of this module is being done. I have changed
> > the email headers accordingly.
> >
> > A sort of "warm standby" is something that I had planned to
> > work into the balancer code post 2.2.1.
> >

> Like said earlier.
>
> Hot standby already works with mod_proxy balancer.
> The 'hot standby' BalancerMember must be initially 'disabled'.
> Other members must have 'redirect' option set to the name of
> 'hot standby' member.

As I understand it, this is ajp specific though, isn't
it (it's been awhile since I look at that section - iirc
it's tied into session support)

Re: mod_proxy_balancer: how to define failover (only)/hot standby

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

>> The only problem is that it's not documented ;)
>>

> Hmm... I thought that this happened via the code
> in find_session_route() and relied on sticky sessions;
> but again iirc they can be via cookies as well.
> So one issue is that stickysession must be used, I think.

Right. Also if the sessions are not replicated it makes no
sense to have hot-standby, cause the user will have to
login again.

find_session_route will check for 'redirect' if all other nodes
are unusable (in error or stopped) and make a failover.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: mod_proxy_balancer: how to define failover (only)/hot standby

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.