Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Bernie H <bj...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/19 18:27:14 UTC

How Do I Get Rid of Searchconduit?

It seems Apache OpenOffice has "deposited" this search engine on my
computer, along with Mysearchdial. I don't want or need either one of these
annoyances. Please advise how I can kill them both, as I've tried to delete
Mysearchdial from Internet Options (where it highjacked my home page!), but
can't find either program listed so I can uninstall them. Thanks.

Re: How Do I Get Rid of Searchconduit?

Posted by Tubular <tu...@iinet.com>.
Would the below be of use in removing the unwanted products added when
other than OpenOffice site was used for downloading product?

I do not remember having extras added with applications downloaded via
cnet.com.  In addition, cnet has tabs for Windows / Mac / iOS / Android.

    * SpyBot
      (http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html)

    * Spyblaster
      (http://download.cnet.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022_4-10196637.html)
    * AVG
      (http://download.cnet.com/AVG-AntiVirus-Free-2014/3000-2239_4-10320142.html)

Doug wrote:

> On 03/19/2014 01:27 PM, Bernie H wrote:
>> It seems Apache OpenOffice has "deposited" this search engine on my
>> computer, along with Mysearchdial. I don't want or need either one of
>> these
>> annoyances. Please advise how I can kill them both, as I've tried to
>> delete
>> Mysearchdial from Internet Options (where it highjacked my home
>> page!), but
>> can't find either program listed so I can uninstall them. Thanks.
>>
> You must be running  Windows. Altho Conduit says it's not a virus,
> it really is, and it's a bitch to get rid of. Your best bet is to
> Google it.
> In your browser, if it's Firefox, *after* you delete it from every
> other place you can find, then reset Firefox. (You will lose any
> special setting you have.) Don't forget to follow the removal
> instructions about the registry--you have to get it off there too.
> The instructions I found did *not* clean the Microsoft Browser
> (the "e" browser). Since I never use that, i didn't care. I also do
> not use Windows very often, for those reasons and others.
>
> You might consider installing a Linux distro on a partition on
> your machine. Then you won't see things like Conduit and
> other crap like it (and worse)!  OpenOffice and LibreOffice
> are both available on a Linux system. You may find you want
> to use the kde desktop, since it works and looks a lot like
> Windows. PCLinuxOS uses KDE normally, as does Kubuntu--
> note the K--and Fedora, and a few others. I like PCLinuxOS
> (PCLOS) myself. All of these are available in 32- or 64-bit
> versions.  A great many programs you use in Windows have
> counterparts in Linux, and they're almost all completely
> free!  Only two programs that i use--AutoCAD and WordPerfect
> --are not available, and if you are comfortable with OO
> you probably won't be using WordPerfect. (There are also
> cad programs, but they are not AutoCAD clones.) If you
> are into games, a great many of them will run under an
> emulator called WINE.
>
> All Linux distros that I know of have a forum or a mailing list, or both,
> so if you need help, it's available. The folks on the PCLOS forum are
> very helpful, and the turnaround is quite fast--from a couple of
> hours to maybe a day.
>
> --doug

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: How Do I Get Rid of Searchconduit?

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Re: Warning: [Was Re: How Do I Get Rid of Searchconduit?

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 09:30:27 -0000, DaveMainwaring <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please explain the choices available for managing downloads

well, i've just checked cnet and found the downloads are direct. however, a similar site, brothersoft.com, does use a download manager, stating as follows:

> The program you want to download will be downloaded through Brothersoft Downloader, making the download process much faster, showing a progress bar and ensuring the program is virus-free

the brothersoft downloader's privacy policy link redirects here:

http://www.conduit.com/privacy/conduitpoweredapplication

so, it's quite possible that some conduit's trash would be bundled. so, that may be not cnet to blame but the particular program's developer who chose to make fundrising through conduit-sponsored distribution.

as for managing downloads, i used to be happy with download master, or there is a program 'free download manager' and thousands more. however, today, with an acceptable-quality internet connection, i'm quite satisfied with my browser's built-in download manager.

Re: Warning: [Was Re: How Do I Get Rid of Searchconduit?

Posted by DaveMainwaring <da...@gmail.com>.

​

--
My Avocation: Building "Knowledge Networks" where participants share, learn
and grow

"Speak softly and carry a large microphone" Bill Blinn
-----

Re: Warning: [Was Re: How Do I Get Rid of Searchconduit?

Posted by Tubular <tu...@iinet.com>.
Personally, I was referred to CNET over 15 years ago and have had no
problems through the years; however, after reading these comments, I
checked the site tonight - found "sponsor" / "ad" links have been added.

Would it be safe to advise others to check sites such as CNET to find
free software downloads then go to the specific site for that software -
such as www.openoffice.org for Open Office downloads - for the actual
download?

Thank you for your time

Posted by Tubular <tu...@iinet.com>.
Suggestion for getting a download without the "so-called installers" -
if you find the program, read the information on the site (such as CNET)
to find the domain originating the program.  For instance, Open Office
information on CNET mentions the OO web site (openoffice.org) several times.

Another suggestion - use search engine such as Google (usually is
selective on results returned) / Dogpile (shows results from several
search engines thus greater chance of finding what you are searching).
Be sure to check the suggested domain name to ensure you find the "home"
site for the program being searched.

Once you find the home site.

Per comment before, I have used CNET for about 15 years and did not have
to download one of the "so-called installers" . . .

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:57:05 -0000, Doug <dm...@optonline.net> wrote:

>> i suppose the point may be that the target file is downloaded not
>> directly but with the help of a small 'download manager' file that you
>> are to download first. i avoid downloading through such managers.
> I strongly dislike the so-called "installers" also, but if you really
> want or need the program, how do you get it without?

usually it exists somewhere installer-free, or at least analogue of it. one notable example was adobe flashplayer, whose download manager just refused to download it (i think, that was because i had turned off task scheduler). first time, it was a quest to find a direct download link on adobe's site. by today, they have made things a bit simpler, the links are listed on the help page.

Re: Warning: [Was Re: How Do I Get Rid of Searchconduit?

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.

Posted by Bruce Pierson <bp...@gmail.com>.
I got this little gem in something called “Sweetpacks” and yes, it cropped up after a download from CNET.  I managed to get rid of it but it was not easy.  I did it by working my way backwards deleting and then reloading (without using CNET).  I am normally careful about downloading but somehow this slipped in.  After this I am very cautious about getting anything through CNET.

Bruce Pierson

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
I was blessed with both Conduit and MySearchDial when I downloaded something
using CNET.  It cost me over 400 US$s to get untangled.  Needless to say,
I'm forever done with CNET.  I've had no such problems with FileHippo.

Cheers,
Maurice Howe
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

---------------------

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:27:14 -0000, Bernie H <bj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems Apache OpenOffice has "deposited" this search engine on my
> computer, along with Mysearchdial.

it seems that you have downloaded openoffice from a location other than openoffice.org/download. thus, it is not surprising that you have found some unnecessary stuff appended by the distributor. in future, always download from the official website, which is www.openoffice.org.

> Please advise how I can kill them both, as I've tried to delete
> Mysearchdial from Internet Options (where it highjacked my home page!), but
> can't find either program listed so I can uninstall them.

that depends on what your os and browser are. in general, just open the browser's preferences and change the homepage. for more detailed instructions, please provide more detailed description of the problem and the environment.