Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/16 18:35:20 UTC

[doc] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

there's been some discussion and confusion recently about the
graduation process. i committed a very early draft last night. it's
now sync'd to http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html.
anyone who want to work on content should dive in :-)

- robert

Re: Re: [doc] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<snip>

On 11/18/06, David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> wrote:

> Based on recently going through this (or trying to...) with OFBiz I
> found quite a bit of good information in the Policy guide and was
> able to divine more or less what needed to be done, but there is
> little indication of the order of doing things. That could probably
> be solved by having a simple check list or process list with
> everything to do.

<snipped-useful-content/>

i've added a checklist based to the based on your suggestions together
with outlines for required content. it'll be available once the
mirrors sync. more improvements welcomed :-)

there are still quite a few sections requiring content. i'll try to
pick them up when i get some time but if anyone wants to volunteer to
flesh out a section (or two ;-), that'd be great. just jump in now and
let people know what you'd like to work on.

> There is a list of post graduation steps in the Policy document, but
> not having "tested" that yet I don't really have any feedback so far.

that's the best way to create documentation: experience it personally
then write about it. i hope you'll hang around and help us document
that phase :-)

- robert

Re: [doc] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Robert,

This does look like a good start.

Based on recently going through this (or trying to...) with OFBiz I
found quite a bit of good information in the Policy guide and was
able to divine more or less what needed to be done, but there is
little indication of the order of doing things. That could probably
be solved by having a simple check list or process list with
everything to do.

Something like:

1. Make sure all STATUS page items are complete (including the
completion of at least a "Test Snapshot" release approved by the
Incubator PMC)
2. Do a podling-internal vote (with binding votes from Podling-PMC
members) to approve graduation readiness
3. For podlings seeking TLP status: Create a Board Draft Resolution
describing the seeking of TLP status, project scope and information,
proposed PMC members and a PMC chair, etc. (perhaps a good list or a
sample resolution here)
4. Do a incubator-level graduation vote (with binding votes from the
Incubator PMC members)
5. ... not sure what happens after this... does an Incubator PMC
member, or perhaps the Chair himself bring the resolution before the
board?

There is a list of post graduation steps in the Policy document, but
not having "tested" that yet I don't really have any feedback so far.

BTW, the above list is probably incomplete and possibly incorrect. It
only represents by rough understanding based on what we have done and
the feedback we've received in the OFBiz effort.

-David

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I like it, +1.  Even having a rough draft that points podlings at
sample Board resolutions is helpful.

(We're still drafting ours in OFBiz land, hopefully it's coming in the
next day or two).

Yoav